Building Better Homes - Emissions Free and Healthier Communities
Advancing healthier, carbon-neutral single-family home development
In partnership with the New York State Home Builders Association and the Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America, NYSERDA has established the Building Better Homes – Emissions Free and Healthier Communities program. This new first of its kind program will Partner with home builders and developers to advance carbon-neutral home and neighborhood development across the State. The benefits of carbon-neutral homes include:
- A HEALTHIER indoor living environment by significantly reducing emissions—especially important for those suffering from asthma and allergies
- A more COMFORTABLE home due to the improved insulation and air sealing that reduce drafts and keep the home at a more consistent temperature and reduced outside noises
- CLEANER, more sustainable communities.
This new initiative is part of an over $30 million multi-year investment to decarbonize single family home new construction. NYSERDA will launch a second component of this program in mid-2022 with $10 million in funding, as a design competition, similar to its successful $40 million Buildings of Excellence Competition, which awards exemplary carbon neutral multifamily building designs. A third component of the program will launch in 2022 to build consumer demand by educating homebuyers on healthy and emissions free home construction.
How it works
NYSERDA is providing program Partners with the funding, training, and resources they need to modernize and decarbonize their building practices to build high-quality, reliable, and sustainable carbon-neutral homes.
Approved Partners may access one or more of the following incentive and support categories for up to $250,000.00 per two-year agreement.
- Carbon-Neutral Design or Redesign Support
- Professional Consultation Services Support
- Carbon-Neutral Marketing Cost Share
- Carbon-Neutral Model Home Incentive
Selection through this request for proposals (RFP ) serves as a precondition for eligibility to receive program task work orders and incentive payments.
Who can apply
Applicant eligibility will be determined by the firm’s experience. Applicants will be required to provide information related to firm demographics, background, and production levels. At a minimum, the following must be demonstrated:
- Evidence the firm is actively building single-family homes in New York State
- Participation in NYSERDA’s New Construction Housing program within the last 12 months
- Building permits dated within the last 12 months
- Executed contract with a home buyer dated within the last 12 months
- Building homes within the System Benefits Charge Territory
- Public commitment to building carbon-neutral homes
Applications will be accepted continuously through December 31, 2023 by 3:00 p.m.
Apply on the Building Better Homes: Partners (RFP 4875) solicitation page.
Have questions or need more information?
Email: [email protected]
Download the fact sheet for this opportunity [PDF]