Green Jobs – Green New York
The Green Jobs – Green New York (GJGNY) Program provides New Yorkers with access to energy assessments, installation services, low interest financing, and pathways to training for various green-collar careers.
The GJGNY Program delivers services in targeted communities with the support of Constituency-Based Organizations (CBOs). CBOs recruit residential, small businesses, Not-for-Profits (NFP), and multi-family building owners into the energy assessment and financing programs; and encourage individuals to take advantage of clean energy training opportunities.
GJGNY offers financing through the following programs to help residential customers make energy upgrades to their homes:
- The Residential Energy Audit Program provides no cost home energy assessments.
- The Assisted Home Performance with ENERGY STAR® Program provides incentives and home energy assessments for income-eligible New Yorkers.
- Residential energy efficiency loans for the purchase and installation of energy efficiency measures for New Yorkers who are not participating in the Assisted Home Performance with ENERGY STAR Program.
- The Photovoltaic (PV) Program provides incentives for solar technologies that turn sunlight into electricity.
- The purchase and installation of clean heating and cooling solutions like Air Source or Ground Source (geothermal) heat pumps.
Small Business and Not-for-Profit
Programs for small businesses and not-for-profits offer access to walk-through energy assessments and low-interest financing. Green Jobs Green New York Energy Studies offer subsidized energy studies to small businesses and not-for-profit entities to help identify opportunities to improve energy efficiency and reduce energy costs. Small businesses and not-for-profits can finance energy efficiency upgrades through two low-interest loan options. Learn more financing options.
Building owners can finance renewable energy projects to purchase and install solar, air source heat pumps, or ground source heat pumps. In addition, multifamily building owners can access financing for energy efficient projects installed through the Small Commercial Financing Program.
A lot of interest and enthusiasm surrounds the topic of "green jobs" and training for clean energy careers. Workforce training programs and other training partnerships are available across the State to encourage the development of a skilled clean-energy workforce that supports energy efficiency and the installation of clean technologies.
The Green Jobs - Green New York Act was signed into law on October 9, 2009, and uses revenue from the sale of carbon emission credits to support the program.
Program Planning and Reporting
* The loan repayment period cannot exceed the useful life of the financed measures. The minimum financing amount is $3,000 for Home Performance with ENERGY STAR and $1,500 for customers who qualify for Assisted Home Performance with ENERGY STAR. Interest rates are subject to change. NYSERDA has the right to access a customer’s credit report, FICO score, and utility payment history, and perform similar credit-related activities for the purpose of evaluating an applicant’s creditworthiness. Financing, energy audits, and workforce development opportunities made available through the Green Jobs - Green New York Act of 2009.