Electronics & Appliances
Using energy efficient products in your apartment or condo can help you save energy.
Discover information to help you choose the most efficient electronics and small appliances for your home. This is a simple step that all New Yorkers can take to reduce their overall energy use.
How You Benefit
- Save money when you choose efficient products and follow energy saving tips
- Extend the useful life of your appliances with less maintenance and fewer repairs than conventional models
- Let your technology work for you when you use smart features and program schedules
- Reduce your carbon footprint while improving your quality of life
Key Energy Saving Opportunities
1. ENERGY STAR® Certified Products
ENERGY STAR® certified products can use up to 60% less energy than standard product models. Whether you are shopping for a new television, refrigerator, or washer/dryer, always be sure to look for the blue ENERGY STAR® label to make sure you are getting a product that will help you save energy.
2. Advanced Power Strips
Advanced power strips are a power management tool that automatically turn off electronics and appliances when they are not being used. Even if you regularly turn devices to standby mode, advanced power strips can help reduce additional “vampire loads,” which is the term used for the energy that your devices and appliances consume even when they are “off.”
3. Smart Plugs and Smart Devices
Many electronics and appliances that are available today are “smart.” These devices can easily be programmed to operate on a schedule, via voice activation, or according to other preferences to help you save energy. Smart plugs are available to turn almost any lamp, fan, or TV into a smart device that you can easily program from your smartphone to help you set an on/off schedule according to your lifestyle.
4. Best Practices
There are simple best practices that can help you save energy no matter what electronics and appliances you own. Always turn products off when they are not in use. Explore the standby and power saving settings you may have on your computer, TV, or other devices. Unplug your chargers when you are not using them, because they still draw a small amount of power even when they are not connected to a device.
When streaming movies and TV shows, choose your smart TV, computer, or tablet instead of a video game console. Gaming consoles can use up to 10 times more power than these other devices!
You Might Also Be Interested In
Consider maximizing your energy savings with additional programs and resources, including:
- Community Solar: Community solar lets New Yorkers access the benefits of clean energy without having to purchase or install their own solar panels. By joining a community solar plan, you can receive credits on your electric utility bill that help you save money.
- NY Energy Advisor: By answering a few questions, income-eligible New Yorkers can access a custom list of energy-saving offers and programs.
- Offers To Discuss With Landlords or Co-ops: There are programs and funding offers available that can help make your apartment or condo more energy efficient when your landlord, housing co-op, or condo association takes advantage of them.
- Regional Clean Energy Hubs: Your Regional Clean Energy Hub can help you access local information on new opportunities to benefit from New York’s transition to clean energy, including ways to save, green career opportunities, and more!
For a full list of residential programs, visit our energy programs and incentives page.
Sign Up For News
Stay up to date on energy-saving programs and incentives, best practices, and more.Stay Connected