The P-12 Schools Initiative encourages New York’s schools that serve students between prekindergarten and grade 12 to reduce their energy use and greenhouse gas emissions – the leading contributor to climate change. Working with NYSERDA, P-12 schools can reduce their emissions and energy use to create healthier learning environments and model sustainability for the next generation.
This initiative promotes clean energy efforts by educating, guiding, and assisting schools that implement clean energy projects and commit to sustainability-focused principles at their facilities and in the classroom. The NYSERDA programs below can be leveraged to help schools integrate energy efficiency, clean energy, and clean transportation into their operations.
Programs for P-12 Schools
Clean Green Schools Initiative
Explore funding to help under-resourced P-12 schools plan and implement projects that reduce energy use and decarbonize school operations.
Read more about Clean Green Schools Initiative
Flexible Technical Assistance (FlexTech) Program
Learn about cost-share funding to complete an energy study at schools that are not designated as public under-resourced schools.
Read more about Flexible Technical Assistance (FlexTech) Program
Electric School Buses
Access resources and funding opportunities to support schools transition to an all-electric bus fleet.
Read more about Electric School Buses
Building Operations and Maintenance Training
Explore funding to train facility and maintenance staff on managing clean energy systems and energy efficiency for healthier learning environments.
Read more about Building Operations and Maintenance Training
P-12 School Resources
NYSERDA has resources to help schools integrate clean energy into their facilities, operations, and curriculum.
- Resources for P-12 Schools: Access a collection of resources to help your school implement clean energy projects and education.
- Electric School Bus Roadmap: Learn about key challenges and costs of school bus electrification, as well as recommendations to transition all school buses in New York State to zero-emission by 2035.
- Electric School Bus Guidebook: Review resources and guidance to prepare school districts for bus fleet electrification, from the procurement process to site planning and bus operations and maintenance.
You Might Also Be Interested In
Explore other NYSERDA programs for P-12 schools to manage their energy use and transition to clean energy systems.
- Clean Heating and Cooling: Learn about heat pump technologies, their benefits, and available incentives, to reduce school energy use and emission.
- Drive Clean Rebate: Explore eligible electric vehicle models that qualify for a rebate of up to $2,000 to convert light-duty vehicles at your school.
- On-site Energy Manager Program: Get cost-share support for hiring an on-site energy manager to inform efficient day-to-day operations, capital planning, and creating healthier learning environments.
- Solar: Leverage incentives through NYSERDA to install grid-connected solar panels, which lower energy costs while generating clean, local power.
Connect With Us
Stay up to date on NYSERDA’s P-12 Schools Initiative or submit a request to receive NYSERDA’s assistance with navigating the program best for your school.Stay Connected