Strategic Energy Management Program
Strategic energy management (SEM) is a comprehensive approach to aligning energy efficiency with business practices and goals to achieve long-term benefits. Instead of managing energy saving projects one by one, SEM gives you the tools to manage energy in a coordinated and strategic way across your organization—helping your business increase profitability, create a competitive advantage, and achieve greater resiliency.
NYSERDA is offering two fully funded program options for businesses. Participants will be guided by a professional coach to develop a SEM plan that will increase profitability, help attain environmental goals, and achieve greater resiliency.
From this training, participants will learn to:
- Collect, measure, and track energy use information to help inform strategic business decisions
- Continuously measure and improve energy performance
- Empower and motivate workforces to contribute to energy strategy and goals
How You Benefit
- Profitability. Reduce overhead costs and production downtime.
- Competitive Advantage. Differentiate yourself in the market as a sustainability leader.
- Employee Satisfaction. Improve workforce retention and talent acquisition.
- Reduce Environmental Impact. Move closer to achieving your climate and environmental goals.
SEM opens a door to parallel DOE programs which is recognition your customers and shareholders will appreciate.
If you’re interested in this opportunity, you can review the training options below or connect with a NYSERDA representative via email [email protected] to ask questions and get the application process started.
SEM On Demand
SEM On Demand is for participants who are interested in developing and integrating energy management practices at their sites. The program helps participants establish organization-wide energy management commitments that will help them meet their energy, environmental, resilience, and/or other company goals or local mandates.
Facilities that participate in the SEM On Demand program can expect to:
- Attend a kick-off meeting and complete prerequisite tasks
- Attend five virtual SEM workshops delivered by an SEM Coach over a one-year cycle.
- Work with SEM Coaches during the second year of engagement and receive support for energy management programs at participant sites through check-in calls, encourage energy project completion, and track energy performance.
- Receive a custom energy management assessment specific to your facility
- Participate in a treasure hunt to identify low-/no-cost projects and capital projects that will reduce site energy use and GHG emissions.
- Gain access to library of resources, tools, and webinars to assist you
- Receive guides to help you create an Energy Policy and Energy Goals, and put a plan in place to achieve them
Participants that display a potential for energy savings or carbon savings will be considered for eligibility. Eligible participants include New York State Commercial and Industrial facilities that are New York State electricity customers who pay into the System Benefits Charge (SBC) through their electric utility company.
- Attachment A: SEM On Demand Application
- Attachment B: SEM On Demand Participation Agreement
Virtual Treasure Hunts
Virtual treasure hunts are facilitated events focused on identifying and prioritizing:
- Low- and no-cost operational changes that result in immediate energy and GHG savings
- Short- and long-term capital improvements that will make the site more energy efficient
- GHG reduction measures such as electrification, renewable energy generation, and energy storage opportunities.
Facilities that participate in a Virtual Treasure Hunt can expect:
- The duration of the treasure hunt to vary based on the size of the facility and anticipated number of energy-saving opportunities
- To have the appropriate number of staff attend the treasure hunt, as determined during the initial planning call.
- Following the virtual treasure hunt, a completed opportunity register that describes, prioritizes, and provides implementation details for identified energy- and GHG-saving opportunities will be provided to each participant.
NYSERDA is offering 10 virtual treasure hunts per year to facilities in New York State: six at Industrial sites and four at Commercial sites. Applications will be accepted on a first-come, first-served basis.
Participants that display a potential for energy savings or carbon savings will be considered for eligibility. Eligible participants include New York State Commercial and Industrial facilities that are New York State electricity customers who pay into the System Benefits Charge (SBC) through their electric utility company. These virtual treasure hunts are available to facilities that have not participated in NYSERDA’s SEM Cohort Program because this activity is covered within the scope of that Program.
- Attachment C: Virtual Treasure Hunt Application
- Attachment D: Virtual Treasure Hunt Participation Agreement
Questions can be emailed to [email protected].