Degrees & Certifications
It’s easy to start your clean energy career
There are a variety of pathways to a clean energy career. Many entry-level positions do not require a college degree, and there are programs to start preparing for a clean energy career as early as high school. If you are considering college or going back to school for a professional certification, there are more clean energy degrees and certifications available in New York State now than ever before.
Degree programs are typically offered through colleges and universities and designed to educate students in a chosen field of study. Recently, more degree programs have been designed specifically to prepare students for a career in clean energy.
- Earn a college degree in an in-demand and rewarding field
- Join a campus community with like-minded students and teachers
- Become a clean energy expert through specialized coursework, research, and hands-on learning
- Complement your clean energy studies with relevant coursework in disciplines such as business or finance
- Get ahead with the support of an alumni network
Clean energy certification programs are typically shorter than a full degree program while still providing qualifications and skills to enter the field. They can be offered through professional associations, colleges, universities, or other educational institutions and often integrate professional development opportunities with coursework in a specific clean energy discipline, such as building operations or solar installation.
- Take the next step in your clean energy career
- Set yourself apart by specializing your skillset
- Demonstrate your commitment to clients and employers
- Continue your education while you work full-time or part-time
- Invest in yourself without committing to a long-term degree program
Explore Career Paths to See Where Your Education May Take You
The transition to clean energy is creating a wave of new economic activity and job opportunities right here in New York. Degrees and certifications are a great way to set yourself up for long-term growth in a clean energy career. Explore the career maps below to see what a future in clean energy could look like for you!
Clean Energy Career Maps
Explore exciting job opportunities through interactive career maps in different clean energy fields, including offshore wind, green buildings, solar, and more.
Read more about Clean Energy Career Maps
Offshore Wind Industry Career Maps
Learn how a degree or certificate program can help prepare you for an advanced role in this rapidly growing industry, which is set to add thousands of jobs across New York State by 2030.
Read more about Offshore Wind Industry Career Maps
You Might Also Be Interested In
New York State has additional programs and resources to help you begin your career in clean energy, including:
- TEC-SMART : TEC-SMART stands for Training and Education Center for Semiconductor Manufacturing and Alternative and Renewable Technologies. Hudson Valley Community College’s state-of-the-art classrooms and laboratories are designed to train students to thrive in the clean energy workforce. Programs include opportunities to complete general education undergraduate credits, as well as specific opportunities for high school students.
- SUNY Clean Energy Consortium : Explore the degree and certification programs offered by the State Universities of New York. The SUNY Clean Energy Consortium works with employers to develop clean energy programs designed to give students practical knowledge for a successful clean energy career.
For a full list of offers for aspiring clean energy professionals and students, visit our workforce development page.
Sign Up For News
Stay up to date on clean energy career programs, training opportunities, and more.Stay Connected