New York Clean Transportation Prizes
The New York Clean Transportation Prizes program will electrify transportation, reduce air pollution, and enhance clean mobility in underserved communities in New York State. Grand prize winners were announced on November 16, 2022. Find out more about the Clean Transportation Prizes finalists and grand prize winners. The competitions ran in two phases. Proposals for Phase One were due in August 2021, and the Phase One awardees were announced in January 2022. Phase Two proposals were due in June 2022.
The three prize areas are:
- Clean Neighborhoods Challenge – three grand prizes awarded to innovative projects that address local air pollution reduction at scale in disadvantaged communities.
- Electric Mobility Challenge – three grand prizes awarded to projects that demonstrate innovative safe and convenient electric mobility options that help solve disadvantaged community transportation needs.
- Electric Truck & Bus Challenge – three grand prizes awarded to projects that demonstrate electrified solutions to the deployment of medium- and heavy-duty electric vehicles or their replacement through other electrified transportation modes.
The Long Island Power Authority has also funded one Electric Mobility Challenge grand prize of $7 million for a project located within its service territory.
The Grand Prize winners are:
- CALSTART: Freight Electrification-as-a-Service for Transformation (FEaST)
- Circuit Transit Inc: Access to Opportunity.: Electric Microtransit in Rockaways and Suffolk County
- Dollaride: The Clean Transit Access Program
- EIT InnoEnergy USA, LLC, Project MOVER
- Krueger Transport, LLC: Accelerating NY Fuel Cell Bus & Hydrogen Infrastructure Deployments
- Local Initiatives Support Corporation (LISC) New York: Centering People, Place, and Policy for Buffalo's Clean Mobility Future
- NYC School Bus Umbrella Services, Inc.: Electrifying School Buses in the Bronx and Beyond (ESB3)
- Revel Transit, Inc: Red Hook Recharge Zone
- Tompkins Consolidated Area Transit: Ithaca Electric Transportation Access Project (ETA)
- Volvo Technology of America, LLC: The Bronx is Breathing
The New York Clean Transportation Prizes program is administered by NYSERDA in partnership with the New York State Department of Public Service and the Department of Environmental Conservation, as part of an $85 million allocation through New York’s Make Ready program to accelerate the transition to a clean transportation future. The Make Ready program is funded by investor-owned utilities in New York State to boost access to charging stations, EV infrastructure, and other clean transportation options, and support underserved communities. This program supports New York's nation-leading clean energy and climate goals in the Climate Leadership and Community Protection Act.