Where climate tech gets real.
Focus Area: Grid Modernization
Innovation@NYSERDA activates a mission-critical ecosystem of pooled resources to drive climate tech and clean energy startups, early-stage developers, and major industry innovators, enabling transformative technologies on the path to net zero.
Grid Modernization program focuses on four specific areas: high performing grid, future proofing the grid, grid flexibility, and grid resilience. These approaches foster collaborative, multifunctional teams and partnerships with the New York State utilities while directly advancing electric-grid evolution. NYSERDA works with innovators on solutions that will deliver the performance needed to achieve New York State’s Climate Act goals for a 70% renewable grid in 2030, and a greenhouse gas free electric grid in 2040.
- Grid Enhancing Technologies (GETs)
- Improving situational awareness on the grid
- Energy storage and transmission as a distribution asset
- Grid stability and energy deliverability
- Modernization of the electric grid to reduce impacts due to extreme weather and natural disaster
NYSERDA partners with academia, national labs, utilities, industry, and working groups to contribute to New York's modernization of the grid.