From product design, to the manufacturing of raw materials into finished goods, energy powers manufacturing.
Industry is a vital component of New York’s economy, providing employment across the state and critical technologies and equipment for the clean energy transition. Yet, industrial processes, such as manufacturing, are incredibly energy-intensive and represent around nine percent of statewide greenhouse gas emissions.
Manufacturers face unique challenges with energy management and the adoption of clean energy technologies. Given the diverse nature of New York’s manufacturing sector, multiple pathways and customizable solutions are available to reduce energy use and emissions based on specific needs and use cases.
NYSERDA offers resources, technical assistance, and support to help manufacturers overcome technical and cost barriers to implement energy-saving investments.
How You Benefit
- Achieve leaner operations with efficient processes that decrease costs, overproduction, and waste
- Increase profitability through long-term, reduced energy costs
- Get support aligning operations with regulation and corporate sustainability goals.
- Leverage partnerships with NYSERDA to foster collaboration, research, and innovation.
- Reduce your carbon footprint and contribute to a cleaner and healthier community
Key Energy Saving Opportunities
1. Process Improvements
Manufacturers are attuned to making continuous process improvements to reduce waste and costs for greater performance and competitiveness. Increasing the efficiency of how processes use energy from generating, transferring, storing, or recovering heat, represent opportunities to cut usage and stabilize energy costs. NYSERDA opportunities to make energy-saving process improvements include:
- Commercial & Industrial Carbon Challenge: Offers competitive funding for a single large project or a portfolio of projects focused on beneficial electrification, carbon capture, and emissions reduction in manufacturing or industrial processes.
2. Operations and Maintenance
Integrating energy efficiency into a plant’s operations and maintenance practices can help reduce energy use long-term and identify energy-saving investments. For example, automating controls and preventative maintenance can optimize energy use and extend equipment life, respectively. NYSERDA has several programs to help manufacturers advance energy efficiency through their operations and maintenance, including:
- Building Operations and Maintenance Training Program: Provides custom, hands-on, and funded training for maintenance and facilities teams.
- Strategic Energy Management Program: Delivers fully funded trainings and one-on-one coaching support to give businesses the tools to manage energy in a coordinated and strategic way across an organization.
3. Technical Assistance
Manufacturers can get support and guidance to help achieve their energy and sustainability goals. NYSERDA has multiple programs offering technical assistance for energy studies, energy management, capital planning, and more, including:
- Flexible Technical Assistance (FlexTech): Provides cost-share support to complete a study that evaluates opportunities for integrating clean energy and/or energy efficiency technologies at industrial facilities.
- On-site Energy Manager Program: Provides cost-share support to hire a dedicated on-site energy manager and improve the performance of your facilities and operations.
Inflation Reduction Act Benefits for Manufacturers
The Inflation Reduction Act (IRA) represents the single largest investment in climate and energy in U.S. history, directing billions of dollars toward consumers and businesses to lower the cost of clean energy technologies.
In addition to IRA tax credits for businesses, there are several programs focused on supporting manufacturers advance clean energy and reduce greenhouse gas emissions.
- Advanced Industrial Facilities Deployment Program : Provides competitive funding for industrial demonstration projects that reduce greenhouse gas emissions and studies to prepare for installing advanced industrial technologies.
- Advanced Technology Vehicle Manufacturing Loan Program : Provides loans to support the manufacture of eligible advanced technology vehicles and components.
- Domestic Manufacturing Conversion Grants : Offers cost-shared support for the domestic production of efficient hybrid, electric, and zero-emission vehicles.
See the Inflation Reduction Act Guidebook for a full list of programs and opportunities.
You Might Also Be Interested In
Manufacturers can improve their bottom line and futureproof their business by reducing energy use and adopting clean technologies. Consider maximizing energy saving strategies with additional cost-effective energy investments, including:
- Clean Heating and Cooling: Air source heat pumps, ground source heat pumps, and heat pump water heaters make it possible for businesses to keep employees comfortable year-round, save energy, and reduce their carbon footprint.
- Electric Vehicles & Charging Stations: Converting commercial fleets and installing charging infrastructure can reduce costs and provide workplace charging for employees.
- Energy Storage: Using energy storage technologies can provide a continuous, reliable supply of energy for business operations.
For a full list of programs, visit our energy programs and incentives page.
Sign Up For News
Stay up to date on energy-saving programs and incentives, best practices, and more.Stay Connected