E-Mobility Technologies and Funding
Clean, healthier, and more accessible transportation options
Creating a sustainable transportation system requires accelerating adoption of electric mobility options in place of vehicles and equipment that run on fossil fuels like gas or diesel. To promote this transition and meet State climate goals, New York is working to increase electric vehicle adoption, public transit access, and low-carbon mobility alternatives.
Electric mobility, or e-mobility, encompasses a variety of electrically powered transportation devices, including:
- Electric vehicles (plug-in hybrid, battery-electric, and fuel cell electric vehicles)
- Electric buses and transit vehicles
- Electric micro mobility technologies, such as electric-assist bikes (e-bikes) and electric scooters (e-scooters)
A growing network of charging stations, increasing consumer choice in electric vehicles, and State and federal incentives, continue to make going electric an easier, cost-saving decision for New Yorkers.
Low-income New Yorkers, youth, and residents in urban centers and disadvantaged communities are more likely to rely on transit and active forms of travel like walking and biking. E-mobility technologies, such as e-bikes and e-scooters, can help expand equitable access to electrified transit, especially when incorporated in a shared micro mobility system (e.g., bikeshare programs).
Benefits of E-Mobility
Public transit agencies, businesses, municipalities, and community-based organizations across New York State can help advance e-mobility in their communities and service territory. E-mobility can promote a variety of environmental, health, and economic benefits, including:
- Improve air quality and public health from reduced tailpipe emissions
- Reduce road congestion by increasing use of shared mobility and micro-mobility options
- Expand access to affordable transportation options like e-bikes and e-scooters
- Cut greenhouse gas emissions in communities and from fleet and transit operations
- Save money on lower operation and maintenance costs than gas-powered vehicles
- Increase connectivity between public transit stops and the first and last leg of commuter trips
E-Mobility Funding Opportunities
1. New York Clean Transportation Prizes
This program provides competitive funding to organizations with solutions that electrify transportation, reduce air pollution, and enhance clean mobility in New York State’s disadvantaged communities. Three prizes of $7 million were awarded for projects that will transform access to electric mobility options and the transition to clean, safe, and more convenient transportation in New York.
2. NY Truck Voucher Incentive Program
Fleets can access vouchers or discounts to adopt zero-emission truck and bus technologies while removing the oldest, dirtiest, diesel engines from New York roads. On-road trucks, transit buses, paratransit (shuttle) buses, school buses, and port cargo handling equipment may be eligible for incentives if they use battery electric or hydrogen fuel cell technology.
3. Congestion Mitigation and Air Quality Improvement (CMAQ) Program
The NYS Department of Transportation provides funding to local governments and transit agencies to support transportation projects that reduce pollutant emissions in designated air quality non-attainment areas. Eligible activities include shared micro mobility projects and medium- or heavy-duty zero-emission vehicles and related charging equipment.
You Might Also Be Interested In
Explore the programs and resources below to advance clean transportation in your organization or community:
- Charging Station Programs: Incentives and discounts from the State and utilities can help install charging stations at places of work, businesses, municipal centers, institutions, and other community sites.
- Drive Clean Rebate: Receive up to $2,000 for the purchase or lease of eligible electric vehicle models.
Sign Up For News
Stay up to date on energy-saving programs and incentives, best practices, and more.Stay Connected