NYSERDA is partnering with local communities across New York State to identify and advance under-utilized land for renewable energy projects. NYSERDA takes difficult sites and makes them "build-ready" for private renewable energy developers to ultimately construct and operate.
Renewable energy projects not only provide a source of energy that is environmentally sustainable—they make good neighbors by unlocking new revenue, creating local jobs, and transforming previously under-utilized spaces.
Under-utilized lands include, but are not limited to:
- Existing or abandoned commercial sites
- Former commercial or industrial sites
- Dormant electric generating sites
- Parking Lots
How Build-Ready Works
- Site Nomination and Identification : An elected official, local community member, private company, or other interested party nominates a potential Build-Ready site through our nomination form.
- Site Evaluation: NYSERDA conducts an evaluation to assess the viability of the site.
- Permitting, Design, Interconnection & Benefits: If the site is viable, NYSERDA works with municipalities to advance the permitting, design and interconnection process. In parallel, NYSERDA actively engages with the host community to put together a customized benefits package.
- Auction Site, Construction & Operation: NYSERDA auctions the site to private renewable energy developers through an open and competitive request for proposal (RFP) process for construction and operation.
NYSERDA is advancing Build-Ready project sites through initial assessment and analysis of technical development potential.
Build-Ready is running a competitive RFP to auction its first site, the BR Benson Mines Solar project, a 12 MW ac solar facility located in St. Lawrence County and sited within the boundaries of Benson Mines on a former tailings pile. Once operational, it’s expected to be one of the largest solar projects in the Adirondack Park. Build-Ready is seeking a partner to finalize the outstanding development milestones, finance, construct, own and operate the project. Interested parties can learn more about the Request for Proposals (BRRFP23-1) and the BR Benson Mines Solar Project and are encouraged to register for an upcoming webinar that will provide an overview of the Benson Mines project and the Build-Ready auction process on October 17, 2023 at 11 AM.
Elected officials, local community members, private companies, or other interested parties can nominate a potential Build-Ready site through our nomination form. Once you submit your site, a Build-Ready Program team member will be in touch with you to discuss your site.
There are no RFI opportunities at this time, please check back at a later date.
- Build-Ready: For Private Landowners [PDF]
- Build-Ready: Solar Canopies for Parking Lots [PDF]
- Local government fact sheet [PDF]
- Build Ready Community Benefits Package [PDF]
- Minimizing Conflicts and Competition Between Build-Ready and Commercial Developers [PDF]
The Accelerated Renewable Energy Growth and Community Benefit Act legislation may be accessed via Part JJJ of the Transportation, Economic Development and Environmental Conservation (TED) Bill, beginning on page 103 .
- Clean Energy Resources Development and Incentives: The Build-Ready Program Annual Progress Report 2022 [PDF], released April 2023
- Clean Energy Resources Development and Incentives: The Build-Ready Program Annual Progress Report, 2021 [PDF], released April 2022
- Clean Energy Resources Development and Incentives: The Build-Ready Program Annual Progress Report, 2020 [PDF], released April 2021
- Build-Ready Implementation Plan [PDF], released January 2021
- New York Public Service Commission Order Approving Build-Ready Program [PDF], released October 15, 2020