Other Policies & Local Laws
Discover New York State and local energy policies and laws
New York continues to demonstrate national leadership with its ambitious climate and clean energy goals. The Climate Act sets statewide targets for renewable energy generation, greenhouse gas emission reductions, and ensuring climate action benefits are directed to Disadvantaged Communities. There is also a suite of State policies and local laws driving the transition to a low-carbon future.
Below is a list of key regulations, policies, and laws that focus on energy and climate in New York.
Almost half of the monthly energy costs in your home are controlled by your thermostat. Discover how your thermostat can work smarter to keep you comfortable while using less energy.
How You'll Benefit
- Stay comfortable in your home without wasting energy when you don’t need to use it
- Use your phone to control the temperature of your home when you switch to a smart thermostat
- Let your thermostat do the work for you when you choose a model with learning capabilities
- Save even more energy when you install an ENERGY STAR® certified thermostat
- Reduce your carbon footprint by only using the energy you need
About Smart Thermostats
- Smart thermostats are one of the fastest and easiest ways to save energy in your home
- Smart thermostats use internet-enabled features to help you easily control your home’s temperature settings
- Some models include “learning” features to help you automatically optimize your energy use based on your lifestyle and peak times of consumption
- Smart thermostats give you data about your temperature settings and equipment use
Get a Top-to-Bottom Look at Home Energy Performance
All New Yorkers are eligible for a free home energy assessment, including renters. While thermostats are a useful tool to manage energy use, an energy assessment provides a customized list of recommendations to take home energy savings and comfort to the next level.
Assessments are completed by a qualified residential auditor, who will identify any inefficiencies or hidden problems in the report outlining recommended upgrades.
You Might Also Be Interested In
Consider maximizing your energy savings from smart thermostats with additional clean energy systems and energy efficiency upgrades. Incentives and support are available to homeowners, renters, and property owners looking to make complementary energy improvements, including:
- Air Sealing and Insulation: Improve your home energy efficiency and air quality by sealing air leaks, upgrading insulation, and installing high-performance windows with incentives through NYSERDA’s Comfort Home program. It’s recommended to seal and insulate first, before investing in new heating and cooling equipment.
- Clean Heating and Cooling: Pairing a smart thermostat with a cold-climate heat pump can further optimize temperature control and heating and cooling efficiency.
- Major Appliances: Realize additional energy savings by choosing energy-efficient appliances for your home.
- Products & Appliances Tips: Explore tips for how to use your home’s products and appliances with energy efficiency in mind.
- Solar: Power your home with clean energy while saving money by installing solar onsite or subscribing to a community solar project.
Explore our full list of residential programs to find other energy-saving opportunities at home.
Learn About Policies & Local Laws
Local Law 97
Starting in 2024, LL97 sets greenhouse gas emission limits for buildings that exceed 25,000 square feet in New York City.
Read more about Local Law 97
Local Law 33: Building Energy Efficiency Ratings
Requires buildings over 25,000 square to obtain Building Energy Efficiency Rating labels on an annual basis to be displayed publicly.
Read more about Local Law 33: Building Energy Efficiency Ratings
Green Jobs – Green New York Act
Generates revenue from the sale of carbon credits to provide New Yorkers with access to energy assessments, installation services, low-interest financing, and pathways to clean energy careers.
Read more about Green Jobs – Green New York Act
Directs State government agencies, led by the GreenNY Council, to adopt a sustainability and decarbonization program for their facilities and operations.
Read more about GreenNY
New York State Energy Plan
Provides a comprehensive roadmap to build a clean, resilient, and affordable energy system for all New Yorkers.
Read more about New York State Energy Plan
Sign Up For News
Stay up to date on energy-saving programs and incentives, best practices, and more.Stay Connected