Multifamily Performance Program (MPP)
The Multifamily Performance Program (MPP) will be closing Friday, February 4, 2022. NYSERDA will continue to accept MPP applications until 5pm Eastern Time on February 4. A new statewide program developed by the Joint Utilities of New York and NYSERDA, New York State Affordable Multifamily Energy Efficiency Program (AMEEP), will serve as the successor program. The program offers both comprehensive and non-comprehensive pathways to incentivize the installation of energy efficient equipment and technology.
You can access information on AMEEP project eligibility, incentives, and upgrades through your utility listed below:
- Central Hudson
- Con Edison
- Orange & Rockland
- National Fuel Gas
- National Grid Long Island
- National Grid Metro
- National Grid Niagara Mohawk
- NYS Electric & Gas (NYSEG)
- Rochester Gas & Electric (RGE)
Multifamily Performance Program
Looking for ways to increase the value of your building and tenant comfort? You can lower operational costs, improve tenant satisfaction, and reduce maintenance time by making your property more energy efficient.Find a Provider
NYSERDA’s Multifamily Performance Program (MPP) provides incentives from $700-$1,500 per unit for affordable multifamily property owners and managers to make improvements to help lower your building’s ongoing operating costs.
When you participate in MPP, you’ll get:
- Customized solutions – A NYSERDA-qualified Multifamily Building Solutions Provider will conduct an assessment of your property and create a customized plan to reach 15% or more in energy savings. You decide which upgrades to invest in—the more energy savings you target, the more money per unit you can receive.
- Expert guidance – With incentives from NYSERDA’s FlexTech program, the cost for obtaining an energy assessment for your property is lower. The assessment is eligible for a 50% cost share.
- Early and flexible incentive payouts – $200/unit paid out for scope of work approval, up to $75,000. Projects are also eligible to receive two construction incentive payouts.
Enhanced Heat Pump Incentives Available through Demonstration Study
NYSERDA wants to better understand the best use cases and impacts on energy costs from installing heat pumps in affordable multifamily buildings through real-world projects. Heat pumps provide a more comfortable, affordable and healthier living space for many families heading into the cold winter season. We are working with MPP Providers to install heat pumps and collect data on those installations to help develop best practices for increased heat pump adoption in income eligible households across the state.
These incentives, available on first-come first-serve basis, are in addition to the NYS Clean Heat Program incentives heat pump utility offers and the MPP incentives you are eligible to receive when you make energy saving improvements at your property. Incentives available to projects that participate in the study:
- Air Source Heat Pumps – $2,000 per dwelling unit
- Ground Source Heat Pumps – $4,000 per dwelling unit
- Heat Pump Water Heaters – $900 per dwelling unit
- Electrical Service Upgrade – $1,500 per dwelling unit
To learn more, contact a MPP Provider.
When You Should Consider MPP
MPP may be good for your property if you are:
- Planning capital improvements, like heating system upgrades
- Undergoing a renovation or retrofit
- Refinancing your property
- Seeking a low-income housing tax credit (LIHTC) or repair grant
- Participating in an energy audit through Local Law 87
- Participating in a utility program, weatherization assistance program (WAP), or other NYSERDA program—improvements through these programs count toward your 15% energy savings target
Consider MPP early in the process of making improvements to your building to make the most of incorporating energy savings into your project.
- Affordable Buildings
- Buildings with 5+ units
- Buildings where at least 50 percent of the building’s gross heated footage is residential space
- Must pay into System Benefits Charge (SBC) / NYSERDA Clean Energy Fund on their electric utility bill
NYSERDA partners with solution providers who are trained and qualified to deliver the highest-quality energy efficiency services for your property. Our providers offer experienced advice and will guide you through each step of identifying and implementing energy-saving upgrades. Get started by choosing a NYSERDA-qualified provider or learn more about how the program works.
Want to learn more? Sign up to stay up-to-date on energy saving opportunities for your property.
Architects, engineers, energy service providers, and others interested in joining the Multifamily Building Solutions Network can learn more about becoming a Provider.