Biomass is any plant-derived organic matter available on a renewable basis, including dedicated energy crops and trees, agricultural food and feed crops, agricultural crop wastes and residues, wood wastes and residues, aquatic plants, animal wastes, municipal wastes, and other waste materials. Biomass Heating R&D and Biomass Resources are NYSERDA programs designed to support the state's biomass energy initiatives.
Biomass Heating R&D Program
NYSERDA’s Environmental R&D and Building R&D programs jointly developed the Biomass Heating R&D program to develop high efficiency, low emission biomass heating technologies in New York state.
The objectives of this program are to:
- Evaluate the energy-efficiency and emissions performance of a wide range of conventional and advanced biomass-fired heating technologies
- Evaluate the energy, moisture, and chemical composition of biomass fuel feed stocks
- Develop advanced boiler technologies by supporting R&D and commercialization efforts with New York manufacturers
- Demonstrate advanced technologies in representative applications
- Provide objective, scientific information for the development of high-efficiency and low-emission biomass heating initiatives in New York State
For more information, please contact Ellen Burkhard at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 518-862-1090 x3332.
Additional Biomass Resources
- NYSERDA Biomass Technical Reports
- NYSERDA Biomass Case Studies
- High-efficiency, low-emission wood heating systems
- Agricultural Manure Management and/or Biogas Projects
- Combustion-related biopower through Distributed Generated and Combined Heat and Power
- Renewable Portfolio Standard
- Biomass Power Guide for RPS [PDF]
- Municipal Water and Wastewater Case Studies
- Low-Cost BioHeating Oil Application
- Biodiesel Blends in Space Heating Equipment