Low-Income Forum on Energy (LIFE)
LIFE is taking a deep breath so that we can deepen our commitment to equity and inclusion
After more than 20 years of working to help low-income New Yorkers address energy issues, the Low-Income Forum on Energy (LIFE) is taking a pause. For LIFE to contribute most effectively to the goal of a just and equitable clean energy transition, the initiative wants to re-imagine its role in service of organizations and individuals committed to addressing the challenges and opportunities facing New Yorkers as they seek safe, affordable, and reliable energy.
LIFE’s webinar series, its monthly newsletter, and its social media presence will be paused until fall 2021. At that time, you can expect a new look and renewed approach to expanded public outreach and collaborative engagement that bolsters New York State’s commitment to disadvantaged communities.
To reinvigorate the interactive exchange of information and collaboration among the programs and resources supporting communities in advancing their own climate and energy justice goals, we will honor the legacy of the LIFE initiative and learn from the hard work and diligence of the many individuals who have contributed to LIFE’s success over the years. This pause will allow us to re-imagine our efforts and prepare for launching future activities that move us forward with a renewed focus on advancing energy equity.
Thank you for your patience while we regroup and plan for how we can better serve communities across the State to help ensure a just transition to a clean energy future. The LIFE email distribution list will remain active. We will be sharing future updates as they are available and will be requesting your input so that we can shape this new vision collaboratively. Any questions or concerns can be directed to [email protected].
Working to help low-income New Yorkers address energy issues
LIFE, the Low-Income Forum on Energy, is a unique statewide dialogue that brings together organizations and individuals committed to addressing the challenges and opportunities facing low-income New Yorkers as they seek safe, affordable and reliable energy. The LIFE dialogue encourages an interactive exchange of information and collaboration among the programs and resources that assist low-income energy consumers. The initiative is supported by the New York State Public Service Commission and the New York State Energy Research and Development Authority (NYSERDA).
To guide LIFE activities and ensure the LIFE program meets its goals, the following mission statement has been developed by the LIFE Steering Committee:
- To maintain a forum which attracts a diverse range of parties whose efforts will have an impact on the ability of low-income customers to meet their energy needs.
- To seek, identify, and address the full range of low-income energy issues.
- To broaden participation and encourage involvement of all stakeholders in the energy forum.
- To encourage linkages through the forum to strengthen the understanding of and support for the energy needs of low-income New Yorkers.
- To encourage an interactive exchange of information and collaboration among the programs and resources that helps the State’s low-income households.
- To provide a venue for policy makers to hear of emerging issues from those at the front end of program delivery, identification of best practices, and networking opportunities for those in the low-income energy field.