NYSERDA values the views of all stakeholders and recognizes that a holistic stakeholder engagement process was crucial to the creation of the Carbon Neutral Buildings Roadmap (CNBR), as well as the design of policies and programs whose development will be guided by the Roadmap. Finding agreement and alignment on the best practices to decarbonize the building sector requires concerted effort by a wide variety of actors. Outreach and engagement will continue after Roadmap publication, through the last implementation phase, and through subsequent updates. Key components for the process included:
- A dynamic Master Stakeholder List identifying organizations and experts active in buildings and building systems, and in low-carbon building solutions, policy, and advocacy and used to engage with a range of experts to inform the Roadmap.
- A small Technical Advisory Group that participated at a deeper level during the Roadmap process and was called upon to review draft documents and provide feedback at critical milestones outside of planned stakeholder events.
- A Carbon Neutral Buildings Website to share milestones, case studies, and additional resources with stakeholders and promote further engagement.
- A statewide Roadshow to seek public input on an outline of the Carbon Neutral Buildings Roadmap and promote an education and awareness of carbon neutral buildings, building decarbonization, and electrification.
- A comprehensive Marketing and Consumer Awareness Campaign to engage all New Yorkers to increase adoption of building decarbonization and electrification strategies.
Phase of Engagement
Stakeholder outreach and engagement related to the development of the first iteration of the Roadmap was divided into three phases. Early engagement, Phase I, focused primarily on small-group events seeking expert input. Phase I started in September 2019 and ran through Q2 2020. Phase II incorporated broader public outreach after the completion of the first draft of the Roadmap to seek public input and increase public awareness of carbon neutral buildings, building decarbonization, and electrification. Phase III will commence with the publication of the final version of the Roadmap and will be comprise of a larger Marketing and Consumer Awareness Campaign to build further awareness among the Roadmap’s targeted audiences as well as the public at large and increase widespread adoption of these concepts.