Closed Solicitation

This solicitation is closed, but will be re-opening in the near future.

Small Wind Turbine Program

This program is intended to increase the amount of clean, renewable energy from wind that is generated in New York State. Approximately $6 million in incentives are available to support installation of behind-the-meter, on-site wind energy systems in the State. Incentives are based on the nameplate rating of the wind turbine.

Who Can Apply

Customers can include residential, commercial, institutional or government users. The maximum equipment size is 2 MW per site per customer. NYSERDA’s incentive cannot exceed 50% of the total installed cost of the system, which must be connected to the electric grid.

How to Apply

Read the Small Wind Turbine Program Funding Opportunity for complete details and requirements. The program is a first-come, first-served open enrollment program, where the Participating Eligible Installer submits your application.

The process includes choosing a Participating Eligible Installer and making arrangements with them to:

  • Inspect your location for sizing and placement
  • Provide a quote
  • Assist with paperwork for applying to the program
  • Assist with obtaining local approval for the installation
  • Perform the installation

Incentive limits include:

  • The maximum incentive available is $1,000,000 per site/customer
  • The maximum equipment size shall be 2 MW per site/customer
  • The NYSERDA incentive shall also not exceed 50% of the total installed cost of the wind energy system
  • Systems shall be sized such that the expected AEO (kWh/year) by the system will not exceed 110% of the customer’s annual electric energy usage, including eligible remote meters
  • For sites that do not have 12 months of electric consumption or that are increasing their electric use, an estimated energy use analysis may be used to predict that usage
  • Incentives are only available for the installation of new equipment and wind energy systems that have not been installed (partially or completely) prior to NYSERDA approval of an incentive application submitted in accordance with the terms and conditions of NYSERDA's Small Wind Turbine Program
  • Incentives are only available to Eligible Installers and incentives must be passed on to customers
  • Incentives will not be provided directly to customers who purchase and install their own wind energy systems
  • For multiple turbines installed at a site, the NYSERDA incentive is based on the AEO of all turbines combined and is not based on the AEO of each individual turbine. For example: If two turbines are installed and the AEO for each turbine is 10,000 kWh, the NYSERDA incentive will be $45,000 and not $70,000.

Incentive Payments

Incentives offered under this program:

  • Are not paid directly to the owner of the wind system
  • Are paid to eligible installers that have been approved to participate in this program and the eligible installer must pass the entire incentive on to the owner of the wind system
  • Are paid in two installments. Sixty-five percent (65%) of the incentive is paid after the equipment is delivered to the installation site and all required permits, approvals, certificates, etc. from all jurisdictions having authority are secured, and the remaining thirty-five percent (35%) is paid when the wind system is grid-connected and approved by your utility. NYSERDA reserves the right to review any installation prior to final incentive payment is made.
  • Will not be paid for wind systems installed by contractors or individuals that are not on NYSERDA's list of eligible installers

Additional Benefits of Buying a Wind System Under This Program

All wind systems less than 100 kW installed with incentives by this program will come with a full five-year parts and labor warranty; for systems 100 kW and larger, the warranty is two years.

Wind systems will include an easy-to-read digital meter allowing customers and installers to monitor system performance. All wind systems will be monitored for energy production, at least twice a year, for two years. If the wind system is not operating at specified performance goals, an installer will inspect the system components. NYSERDA will review each proposed wind system design, all incentive applications, and every customer purchase agreement.

The scope of the NYSERDA review shall be limited solely to determining whether NYSERDA's program conditions have been met and shall not include any type of safety review. NYSERDA shall work closely with each eligible installer and monitor their performance throughout the program. Eligible Installers are responsible for all paperwork required under this program.