Use Solar at Home
New York State is making solar technologies more accessible and affordable to homeowners and renters than ever before. As the prices continue to decrease, more residents are making the switch to solar. More than 86,000 homes in New York State are currently powered by solar energy.
Solar can power all of your home electricity needs, whether you own or rent, including lighting, heating, computers, and appliances. Solar offers homeowners and renters many benefits, such as:
- Saving money through reduced or eliminated electricity bills
- Creating stability during periods of electric rate changes
- Contributing to a cleaner and healthier community by reducing your carbon footprint
- Accessing federal, State, and local tax credits for eligible solar projects
Solar Installation Options
There are several ways to get solar for your home or apartment. Learn more below about which solar option is right for you: home installation or community solar.
Solar panels can be mounted either on the roof of your home or on the ground, whichever conditions work best for your property.
- Rooftop solar offers you a way to harness the power of the sun through panels installed on the roof of your home, garage, or another building on your property. This the most common option for residential solar.
- Ground-mounted solar allows you to put panels wherever conditions on your property are best, particularly if you can’t or don’t want to put them on your roof. This is a great option for homes with a smaller roof space or roofs that are heavily shaded.
If your property isn’t ideal for solar panels or you are renting your home, community solar may be a great option for you. Community solar projects are an array of solar panels installed in a sunny, offsite location. Many community solar projects are becoming available across the State. Community solar offers you the same benefits of home installation options. You will still get credits toward your electricity bill by subscribing to a local clean energy project.
Ready to Go Solar?
Through NYSERDA’s NY-Sun Program, there are many opportunities to get started and identify what solar option is best for you, including incentive and financing options. Visit NY-Sun to get started.