How to Participate in NYTVIP: Vehicle Fleets
Vouchers make it easier than ever to replace old trucks or buses in your fleet with state-of-the-art zero-emission vehicle technology. As an eligible fleet, purchasing an eligible vehicle from a participating dealer (the “Contractor”) through NYTVIP brings the price you pay for a clean vehicle close to what you would pay for a new diesel truck or bus.
Commercial, non-profit, and public sector fleets (excluding federal government fleets) are eligible to participate in NYTVIP if the vehicles receiving vouchers (and the vehicles being replaced) are operated and domiciled in New York State. Participating fleets are subject to the following restrictions to maintain eligibility:
- If a fleet purchases a vehicle through NYTVIP, it must operate that vehicle and register the vehicle in New York State for a minimum of five years
- If a fleet leases a vehicle through NYTVIP, the fleet must operate the vehicle and register the vehicle in New York State for a minimum lease term of five years
- Participating fleets must scrap (retire) one diesel vehicle with a 1992 to 2009 engine model year for each vehicle purchased or leased through NYTVIP to receive the highest available voucher incentive amount. As of April 2022 CMAQ funded incentives do not require scrappage (see Scrappage Requirements for more details)
- Participating fleets must complete the Semi-Annual Usage Report for the first three years in which it operates a vehicle purchased or leased through NYTVIP
- Vehicles designated for scrappage (if applicable) must meet minimum usage requirements for each of the prior two years, and replacement vehicles must meet minimum average annual usage requirements during the five-year in-service period; see Voucher Funding Sources and Requirements page for minimum mileage requirements by vehicle type
Failure to comply with any of these requirements could disqualify fleets from future participation in NYTVIP or result in the fleet’s responsibility to repay NYSERDA or the Contractor for all or some of the voucher amount. For more information on how to participate in the Program, including vehicle eligibility for scrappage and documentation for new vehicles, please refer to the Purchaser Checklist [PDF], which details documentation to be submitted to substantiate and accompany the application.
Voucher Process for a Fleet
Fleet eligibility review
Model & Contractor selection
Fleet initiates purchase
Semi-Annual Usage Reporting
- Step 1: Fleet Eligibility Review
Fleet reviews Eligibility Guidelines (see above) to confirm eligibility to participate.
- Step 2: Model & Contractor Selection
Once the fleet has confirmed eligibility, the fleet selects an eligible vehicle model and identifies a Contractor approved to sell that vehicle through NYTVIP.
- Step 3: Fleet Purchase
Fleet enters a preliminary purchase order with the Contractor (with purchase price reduced by the full voucher amount) and designates a qualifying vehicle for scrappage, if applicable (see Scrappage Requirements).
- Step 4: Voucher Application
Fleet provides the Contractor with information regarding its vehicle fleet, including specific information about the vehicle that will be scrapped (if applicable), and any other required documentation (including the signed Vehicle Purchaser Participation Agreement) so the Contractor can submit a complete voucher application.
- Step 5: Voucher Redemption
Fleet takes delivery of the new vehicle, scraps its old vehicle (if applicable), and provides documentation of both actions to the Contractor to complete Voucher Redemption.
- Step 6: Semi-Annual Usage Reporting
Fleet completes required reporting for three years and continues to operate the vehicle in NYS for five years.