Voucher Funding Amounts
The NY Truck Voucher Incentive Program has exhausted all available CMAQ funding. As of May 27, 2022 and thereafter, NYSERDA will ONLY accept applications for Class 4-8 trucks, transit buses, school buses, and non-road port cargo handling equipment that are accompanied by the scrappage of a qualifying pre-2009 vehicle. NYSERDA will no longer accept new applications for trucks and buses that only qualified for funding under the “Other” funding category (Section 1.2.5 of the Implementation Manual). NYSERDA will review any previously submitted applications to determine if funding is available for these projects and, if so, if their projects are approved. Program participants with approved vouchers should continue to complete their projects and submit final documentation.
Vouchers are currently available to fleets across New York State interested in purchasing medium- and heavy-duty vehicles (weight class 3 through 8) in either of the following zero-emission categories:
- Battery electric (BEV)
- Hydrogen fuel cell electric (FCEV)
Vouchers cover a percentage of the incremental cost of the vehicle, the difference in cost between the alternative fuel vehicle and a comparable diesel vehicle. Voucher incentive amounts may differ by vehicle weight class and location where the vehicle is domiciled. Voucher amounts are subject to funding availability and applicable per-project caps. For more information about program eligibility and rules, consult the Program Implementation Manual.
Voucher Amounts and Caps for All Vehicle Types
|Vehicle Type||Fuel Type||
|Voucher Amount: Vehicle Weight Class (GVWR)|
|On-Road Trucks||BEV / FCEV||95%||$ -||$100,000||$110,000||$125,000||$150,000||$185,000|
|Transit Buses||BEV / FCEV||100%||$ -||$100,000||$125,000||$150,000||$250,000||$385,000|
|School Buses||BEV||100%||$ -||$100,000||$120,000||$150,000||$200,000||$220,000|
Non-Road Port Cargo
|New BEV||90%||$170,000 across all classes|
|Repower BEV||90%||$140,000 across all classes|
- Vehicles domiciled or operating in NYC Industrial Business Zones may qualify for incentives at these levels through the New York City Clean Trucks Program instead of through NYTVIP. For more information, go to https://nycctp.com/.
- Incentives are available statewide for Class 4-8 On-Road Trucks to eligible fleets that scrap a qualifying diesel vehicle. The scrappage vehicles must have a similar weight and duty cycle as the new vehicle replacing it, have been operated, registered, and domiciled in New York State for at least 24 of the past 27 months prior to scrappage, and operated at least 5,000 miles annually over the two most recent years.
- Class 4-8 Transit Bus incentives are currently available for the following 5 transit agencies. Voucher Applications must be submitted on or before August 18, 2024 to access transit funding.
- Capital District Transportation Authority (CDTA)
- Niagara Frontier Transportation Authority (NFTA)
- Rochester-Genesee Regional Transit Authority (RGRTA)
- Suffolk County Transportation
- Westchester County Bee-Line Bus System
- NYTVIP vouchers may only be combined with additional competitive funding sources to equal a maximum of 100% of the Incremental Cost of the replacement vehicle. NYTVIP vouchers can be combined with regular, noncompetitive federal funding (e.g., FTA Formula Grant 5307 and 5311 programs) that fund ordinary vehicle replacement. Federal Low-No funds (FTA 5339(c)) cannot be used in combination with the NYTVIP voucher. When submitting a voucher application, Contractors must indicate whether their customer plans to combine NYTVIP funding with other funding sources, and if so, which programs.
- To receive voucher funding at the highest amount available, a school bus must be domiciled within 0.5-mile of a disadvantaged community (DAC).
Non-Road Port Cargo Handling Equipment (CHE)
- Eligible non-road port cargo handling equipment (CHE) operators at eligible New York State port facilities can access voucher incentives for all-new or repowered BEV CHE (e.g., rubber-tired gantry cranes, straddle carriers, shuttle carriers, top loaders, side loaders, skid loader, and terminal tractors including yard hostlers operating within ports).
- Incentives at levels indicated in the "Other" category above are available through NYTVIP for new or repowered BEV Class 3-8 vehicles domiciled in one of the following counties: Albany, Bronx, Chautauqua, Dutchess, Erie, Genesee, Greene, Jefferson, Kings, Livingston, Monroe, Montgomery, Nassau, New York, Niagara, Onondaga, Ontario, Orange, Orleans, Putnam, Queens, Rensselaer, Richmond, Rockland, Saratoga, Schenectady, Schoharie, Suffolk, Wayne, and Westchester.