What is RetrofitNY
RetrofitNY, a NYSERDA initiative, is revolutionizing the way buildings are renovated in New York State. Our goal is to make carbon neutral retrofits a reality and electrify the building stock in New York in a cost-effective way. RetrofitNY is working aggressively to bring a large number of affordable housing units to or carbon neutral by 2025, so that more New Yorkers have access to the benefits of carbon neutral performance.
The RetrofitNY approach is based on the successful European program, Energiesprong. Launched in the Netherlands in 2013, Energiesprong is found in France, the United Kingdom, Germany, Italy and, now, New York. Adapting this tested and proven model to New York, we are transforming the building renovation industry through five key actions:
- Leveraging the collective market power of building owners to create demand; stimulating cost compression on new technologies; and reducing project costs for carbon neutral solutions
- Mobilizing the building industry to develop innovative technical solutions to substantially improve affordable housing buildings while residents continue to live in their apartments
- Engaging with manufacturers to help drive innovation, availability, and cost compression of relevant technologies
- Working with financial organizations to fund projects by capturing energy savings
- Engaging regulatory agencies to help facilitate widespread adoption
RetrofitNY will begin with affordable housing where high-performance retrofits have the potential to improve resident well-being. The relative uniformity of the building stock will also allow us to rapidly activate a large market and compress cost by using similar solutions on a number of buildings. RetrofitNY is also working with national partners to mobilize an even larger regional market to more rapidly compress costs and demonstrate viability.
Interested in Working with RetrofitNY?
If you are a manufacturer of building products, such as façade or other building related systems such as HVAC, or a building owner with a portfolio of buildings and are interested in working with the RetrofitNY initiative, find out how your organization can get involved or contact the RetrofitNY team for more information.