The New York State Energy Research and Development Authority, known as NYSERDA, promotes energy efficiency and the use of renewable energy sources. These efforts are key to developing a less polluting and more reliable and affordable energy system for all New Yorkers. Collectively, NYSERDA’s efforts aim to reduce greenhouse gas emissions, accelerate economic growth, and reduce customer energy bills.
This is a paid internship for current, matriculated students. Students are allowed to work up to 37.5 hours per week in between semesters, when not attending class.
- Investigate new initiatives in DER impact within a DSP platform:
- Develop analysis of Blockchain methodology to facilitate new financing structures.
- Potential for Blockchain methodology to use as part of Credit-Enhancement for Financing Solutions.
- Model capital structures using Blockchain backed portfolio of DER (solar + storage).
- Investigate metering technology compatible with Blockchain methodology for peer-to-peer transaction.
- Investigate advanced in metering technology.
- Explore opportunities to coordinate with local, state, and federal agencies programs
- Market research of the financial environment to include, but not limited to:
- Community Reinvestment Act (CRA) investment opportunities and evaluation.
- Impact and assessment of financial institutions as it pertains to CRA compliance.
- Potential for CRA compliance to include investments in renewable energy/energy efficiency.
- Survey of Banks active in CRA lending for EE/RE.
- Mortgage lending rules for CRA / Public Welfare Investment, risk mitigation, forecast analysis.
- State and Federal programs design to assist residential and commercial renewable energy/energy efficiency.
- Program needs
- Program limitations
- Program Funding
- Assist Lead Project Managers
- Identify and evaluate potential stakeholders.
- Evaluate market potential.
- Forecast impact of strategies.
- Modeling of market size.
- Market segmentation, stakeholders, regulation and needs.
- Communicate with:
- Financial Institutions to identify those with interest in community investment, corporate social investments etc.
- Community Development Financial Institutions
- Non-Government Organizations
- Impact Investors
- Philanthropic Organizations
- Community Based Organizations
- Perform other responsibilities as assigned.
- Current, full-time undergraduate or Masters student, specifically majoring in finance, energy economics, engineering, business, policy
- Strong skills in Advanced Microsoft Excel [including modeling skills for financial structures], Word, PowerPoint, and Outlook
- Excellent writing skills
- Demonstrated ability to research primary and secondary sources.
- Skill in managing multiple activities, delivering on commitments, and operating with speed, accuracy, and strong judgment.
- Strong work ethic.
- Understanding of finance, alternative investments, fixed income
- Or understanding of residential markets and energy policy
Please submit cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org and include Summer Internship, Financing Solutions in the subject line.