Information Technology - Data Solutions - Albany Office
New York is leading the nation in the fight on global climate change and the transition to a clean energy-powered economy. With the passage of the Climate Leadership and Community Protection Act, New York has codified the most aggressive climate change program in the nation with goals to reach zero carbon emissions in the electricity sector by 2040; install 9 gigawatts of offshore wind by 2035; 6 gigawatts of solar by 2025; and 3 gigawatts of energy storage by 2030. Additionally, the law creates the Climate Action Council comprised of the leaders of various state agencies and authorities as well as legislative appointments to develop a plan outlining how the state will achieve an 85% reduction in GHG emissions from 1990 levels by 2050, and eventually net zero emissions in all sectors of the economy.
The Data Solutions team seeks an intern with a keen eye for detail who is a team player, dependable, and eager to learn. The Data Solutions team reports to the Chief Information Officer, works closely with the Chief Information Security Officer and Legal team, and supports all teams across NYSERDA.
Interns who are interested in energy efficiency, renewable energy, data management, data and cyber security, open data, or analyzing data are encouraged to apply. The selected intern will gain skills in implementing data management best practices, information security, and data analysis while learning about NYSERDA’s wide breadth of program offerings.
This is a paid internship for current, full-time college students. The pay rate is from $15 to $17 per hour based on current class year. This internship will begin in the Spring 2023 semester with the potential to continue through the Summer and academic year.
Interns must be located in New York State while working. It is expected that interns will follow our telework policy, with a combination of in-office and remote work. Interns work up to 18.5 hours per week during the semester, and 37.5 hours per week between semesters, when not attending classes.
- Ensure the overall Confidentiality, Integrity, and Availability (CIA) of data by drafting, reviewing, and updating data policies and procedures, and developing or updating Data Governance articles for end-users.
- Work with teams to classify their information assets (C-I-A ratings)
- Review and process Data Governance Service Desk tickets
- Perform information security audits on third party applications to ensure compliance with NYS policies
- Lead the Cyber Security Awareness Month effort by developing a communication strategy and infographic security tips that cyber security threats are real
- Conduct data analyses including geocoding customer and vendor addresses
- Assist with data compiling, analyses, and reporting
- Work with all teams across the Authority to make public data accessible to both internal and external stakeholders, and to secure sensitive data
- Assist with compiling datasets and supporting documentation for publication on the Open NY website
- Collaborate with other members of the IT department to develop solutions to store, collect, and share data based upon the classification of the data
- Summarize notes and action items for key stakeholder meetings
- Perform other responsibilities as assigned
- Current, full-time college student with knowledge or experience in data management, data security, cybersecurity, or the C-I-A triad.
- Proven analytical and problem-solving skills with proficiency in Microsoft Office Excel, Word, Outlook, and PowerPoint. Knowledge of Microsoft Teams desired
- Demonstrated ability to research primary and secondary sources
- Strong work ethic and ability to take initiative
- Results oriented: skilled in managing multiple activities, delivering on commitments, operating with speed, honed attention to detail, and strong judgment
- Strong verbal and written communication skills with the ability to articulate and succinctly summarize complex concepts
- Familiar with and passionate to learn more about energy and the environment as well as data and cyber security
Please submit one file that includes both your cover letter and resume.