Sr. Project Manager, Energy and Climate Equity - New York City, NY, Albany, NY, or Buffalo, NY
New York is leading the nation in the fight on global climate change and the transition to a clean energy-powered economy. With the passage of the Climate Leadership and Community Protection Act (Climate Act) , New York has codified the most aggressive climate change program in the nation with goals to reach zero carbon emissions in the electricity sector by 2040; install 9 gigawatts of offshore wind by 2035, 10 gigawatts of solar by 2030, and 6 gigawatts of energy storage by 2030. With the recent approval of the Climate Action Council’s final Scoping Plan, we have a strong framework to achieve an 85% reduction in GHG emissions from 1990 levels by 2050, and eventually net zero emissions economy-wide.
- Attract the private sector capital investment needed to expand New York’s clean energy economy
- Overcome barriers to using clean energy at a large-scale in New York
- Enable New York’s communities and residents to benefit equitably from energy efficiency and renewable energy
NYSERDA’s Energy and Climate Equity team seeks a community-oriented relationship builder who is an experienced convener of multi-stakeholder planning initiatives. This individual will manage the development and implementation of the Energy Equity Collaborative, a statewide disadvantaged community stakeholder engagement initiative that promotes community-centered energy equity and climate justice across NYSERDA-led programs in coordination with New York State interagency partners. The ideal candidate will be passionate about NYSERDA’s mission and climate equity goals, demonstrate solid strategic and program management experience, and have strong communication, interpersonal and cross-cultural relationship building skills.
Reporting to the Assistant Director of Energy and Climate Equity, the candidate will be responsible for the following:
- Manage the Equity Collaborative strategy, work plan and deliverables, timeline, and budget
- Build relationships with and provide support for stakeholders representing historically marginalized communities participating in the Equity Collaborative
- Plan and co-facilitate stakeholder meetings to support alignment, collaboration, and early wins between frontline community stakeholders, NYSERDA, and interagency partners
- Plan and facilitate information sessions for frontline community organizations to support their informed participation in NYSERDA clean energy policy and program planning
- Collaborate with NYSERDA program teams to provide a streamlined way to gather early-stage feedback from frontline community representatives
- Manage development of materials and communications with disadvantaged community stakeholders and the public in alignment with NYSERDA’s energy and climate equity objectives
- Identify needs and manage contractors supporting these initiatives, monitoring contract budgets, and reviewing deliverables for quality and accuracy
- Prepare and present memos, reports and presentations that summarize project activities, outputs, and outcomes for NYSERDA deliberation and to inform public stakeholders
- Perform other responsibilities as assigned
- 7 years of experience in community planning, environmental justice, energy, or climate policy
- Bachelor’s degree
- Experience working with and/or on behalf of historically marginalized communities and under-resourced communities
- Ability to successfully handle multiple projects simultaneously, set priorities, and make course corrections in a rapidly evolving work environment
- Ability to use diplomacy, handle ambiguity, and successfully coordinate between partners and across departments to support progress on equitable initiative development
- Genuine passion for issues related to climate change, energy equity and environmental justice
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills including ability to translate technical information into plain language and help elevate historically marginalized community voices in planning
- Proven ability to assess, anticipate, and articulate needs in advance, propose alternative solutions, plan ahead, create insightful reports, and react positively to challenges and new assignments
- Strong attention to detail and accuracy along with well-developed organizational and analytical skills
- Proficiency with MS Office Suite
- Ability to travel up to 20%
- Familiarity with New York State’s environmental justice, low-income, affordable housing, energy affordability, climate resilience, renewable energy, and/or transportation issues and stakeholder groups
- Demonstrated competency facilitating meetings and development of consensus, using different workshop formats including digital whiteboard tools, and techniques that promote inclusion of diverse perspectives
- Experience working with state and local governments, with or within community-based organizations, and with clean energy and climate justice leaders
- Experience with event planning and management
Candidates will be considered based on qualifications and experience. Salary range is $105,500 - $133,319. An excellent benefits package is offered.
Please submit one file for the Sr. Project Manager, Energy and Climate Equity position, job# 780, that includes both your cover letter and resume.