Assistant Director, Economic Development - Albany, Buffalo, or New York City Office
New York is leading the nation in the fight on global climate change and the transition to a clean energy-powered economy. The Climate Leadership and Community Protection Act (Climate Act) [PDF] has created the most aggressive climate change goals in the nation and requires an ambitious agenda that blends proven catalysts with innovative approaches while operating across a broader energy arena that is rapidly evolving. New York State Energy Research & Development Authority (NYSERDA) is a driving force in realizing this agenda. NYSERDA works with stakeholders that span residents, business owners, developers, community leaders, local government officials, universities, utilities, investors, entrepreneurs, and more, to develop, invest, and foster conditions that:
- Attract the private sector capital investment needed to expand New York’s clean energy economy.
- Overcome barriers to using clean energy at a large-scale in New York.
- Enable New York’s communities and residents to benefit equitably from energy efficiency and renewable energy.
To capitalize on these enormous investment opportunities and create jobs, the New York State Energy Research and Development Authority (NYSERDA) seeks a leader to help develop and implement strategies that expand New York’s clean energy economy. This position will be part of a growing team that identifies, prioritizes, and implements new initiatives to expand in-state industries in key strategic sectors which may include clean heating and cooling, building decarbonization, wind and solar, green hydrogen, energy storage, electric vehicles, and others. Approximately 20% travel required.
- Implement a coherent strategy to identify specific clean energy sectors, and sub-sectors, where New York State firms can be competitive producing, assembling and maintaining clean energy solutions; including supplying components to Original Equipment Manufacturers located within and outside of New York State
- Develop new incentive mechanisms that help existing NYS firms successfully expand into these sectors and attract new firms to NYS. These mechanisms will augment existing economic development initiatives (including through Empire State Development, Industrial Development Agencies, and New York Power Authority), leverage federal support where appropriate, and could include new targeted grants, mechanisms within existing clean energy initiatives that encourage NYS content, and other approaches
- Conduct corporate outreach and promote NYS and NYSERDA to large employers and key industry association and professional groups
- Identify, analyze, and manage company expansion and attraction projects working in conjunction with state and local partners
- Lead and participate in project teams consisting of NYSERDA staff and others in government and the private sector and work to expedite projects and initiatives
- Develop and maintain relationships with a variety of stakeholders to stay current on industry and community needs, including with:
- Empire State Development, Industrial Development Agencies, NYPA, and electric utility companies
- Local governments, economic development and community revitalization groups, and regional economic development councils
- Clean energy project developers and clean energy solution manufacturers, distributors, and suppliers
- The Business Council of New York State, Manufacturers Alliance of NYS, and multiple intervenors
- Stay abreast of clean energy market developments and inform NYSERDA program development of key industry trends, industry insights, and community needs
- Perform other responsibilities as assigned
- 10 years’ experience, at least 5 in senior-level positions in economic development or business development. A Master’s degree may substitute for 2 years of experience
- Strong leader with demonstrated problem-solving ability, an action bias, and experience leading direct reports and colleagues toward measurable outcomes
- Bachelor’s degree
- Demonstrated track record in economic development
- Knowledge of NYS communities, clean energy solutions, and/or supply chain development
The salary range is $124,534 - $157,338. Candidates will be considered based on qualifications and experience. An excellent benefits package is offered.
Please submit one file that includes both your cover letter and resume.