Communications Manager, Corporate Communications - Albany Office
New York is leading the nation in the fight on global climate change and the transition to a clean energy-powered economy. With the passage of the Climate Leadership and Community Protection Act (Climate Act) [PDF], New York has codified the most aggressive climate change program in the nation with goals to:
- Produce 70% of its electricity from renewable sources by 2030
- Reach zero carbon emissions in the electricity sector by 2040
- Install 9 gigawatts of offshore wind by 2035
- Install 6 gigawatts of solar by 2025
- Install 6 gigawatts of energy storage by 2030
Additionally, the law creates the Climate Action Council comprised of the leaders of various State agencies and authorities as well as legislative appointments to develop a plan outlining how New York will achieve an 85% reduction in greenhouse gas emissions from 1990 levels by 2050 and eventually net zero emissions in all sectors of the economy.
The New York State Energy Research and Development Authority (NYSERDA) is seeking a Communications Manager in the Corporate Communications department to participate in developing and implementing a comprehensive, strategic and proactive corporate communications program that will build public awareness of NYSERDA’s objectives and accomplishments. The Communications Manager will serve to assist in integrating and coordinating program activities, events and announcements for internal and external audiences with a strong focus on crafting executive speeches and remarks on a broad scope of clean energy and climate issues. This position requires extensive writing and a broad range of skills with demonstrated experience in executive remarks, public and media relations, and internal communications. Must be a motivated self-starter and talented writer with strong project management skills, adaptable to working independently or as part of a team and able to prioritize multiple projects while working in a fast-paced environment. The ideal candidate will be able to foster strong collaborations and maintain an awareness and understanding of complex issues affecting NYSERDA and the energy industry.
- Serve as a lead on drafting executive remarks for public speaking engagements with the ability to deliver them in a timely manner; coordinating with internal leadership and colleagues to ensure accuracy and consistency; and analyzing remarks as delivered, current news, press material and more to ensure relevancy
- Serve as a lead contact for specific Authority programs as assigned; work directly with program staff to ascertain newsworthy announcements and potential media events to build awareness of the Authority’s mission and the advancement of Climate Leadership and Community Protection Act
- Develop an in-depth understanding of a variety of program areas and deliver high-quality written materials including executive remarks, talking points, press releases, conference and event briefing materials, and other documents to support public and media relations efforts
- Develop and maintain close working relationships with key internal and external stakeholders, as well as media outlets, in development of newsworthy announcements
- Work with management to provide recommendations and guidance to program teams on public relations efforts in support of NYSERDA positions and initiatives with the goal of achieving positive feedback among external and internal constituencies
- Work closely with social media colleagues to develop and execute NYSERDA messaging across social media platforms
- Work closely with Director of Communications in the development of news releases, executive remarks, responses to inquiries and other media-related communications; work with the Vice President of Corporate Communications and Marketing as needed for sensitive and significant issues
- Work jointly with other departments ensuring that all items meet the highest professional standards of accuracy, clarity and style.Liaise with internal departments including marketing, web and social media to ensure consistency of message
- Build networks within NYSERDA and at NY Green Bank and other energy and environment agencies; support financial communications as needed
- Perform other responsibilities as assigned
- 7 years’ related experience directly working in a corporate or government communications or public relations department; demonstrated success with formal and informal remarks at the executive level; communications experience in the clean energy sector as well as the building decarbonization, environmental justice or finance sectors
- Excellent work ethic, resolute integrity, detail oriented with a commitment to delivering a high-quality and accurate work product with a track record of putting the success of the team first
- Ability to assess potential effects of NYSERDA decisions on public attitudes, effectively apprise Director of Communications and Vice President of Corporate Communications and Marketing of such factors and help inform decision making for public response
- Ability to work effectively with members of the news media, executives in NYSERDA and colleagues in other state agencies and industry stakeholders and organizations
- Excellent writing, journalistic, presentation, and interpersonal skills that resonate with a variety of audiences; ability to communicate persuasively, concisely and unambiguously
- The ability to express complex technical and organizational concepts in terms understandable to the news media and public; track record of creative and proactive approaches for pitching news stories
- Strong project management skills; ability to work well under pressure and a respect for internal and external deadlines; manage multiple diverse activities simultaneously, deliver on commitments and varying deadlines, and operate/make decisions with speed, accuracy and strong judgment
- Strong computer skills (Word, Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.)
- Bachelor’s degree required, preferably in journalism, communications, public relations, or related field
The salary range is $68,901 - $115,490. Candidates will be considered based on qualifications and experience. An excellent benefits package is offered.
Please submit one file that includes both your cover letter.