NYStretch Energy Code: 2020 Outreach, Training and Resources
NYStretch Energy Code – 2020* Version 1.0 (NYStretch-2020) is available. NYStretch-2020 is a supplement to the 2020 Energy Conservation Construction Code of New York State (State Energy Code), developed by NYSERDA, and available for voluntary adoption by local governments as a more stringent local energy code. On average, the NYStretch-2020 supplement improves the State Energy Code’s efficacy by roughly 10%, and is a model for New York jurisdictions to use to meet their energy and climate goals by accelerating the savings obtained through their local building energy codes.
The NYStretch-2020 supplement is:
- Readily adoptable
- Written in enforceable language, familiar to building departments
- Coordinated with the New York State Uniform and Energy Codes
- Intended to be about one cycle ahead of the current State Energy Code
- Cost-effective and regionally appropriate
Clean Energy Communities
NYSERDA’s Clean Energy Communities Program recognizes and rewards local governments for their clean energy leadership. By completing four High Impact Actions, you can earn the Clean Energy Community designation as well as grant funding to support additional clean energy projects. Each High Impact Action is worth points collected upon completion of the action. Points earn communities
NYStretch-2020 adoption is one of 13 High Impact Actions of the Clean Energy Communities Leadership Round. Communities that adopt NYStretch-2020 may become eligible for grant funding and designation as a Clean Energy Community. Communities do not however need to participate in the Clean Energy Communities program to adopt NYStretch-2020. For more information, contact the Clean Energy Community Coordinator in your region.
* It is NYSERDA’s intent to release a version of NYStretch that will overlay the 2020 ECCCNYS upon release of that code by New York State Department of State. NYStretch Version 1.0 is an overlay of the 2018 International Energy Conservation Code (2018 IECC) and ASHRAE Standard 90.1-2016 (ASHRAE). It does not reflect changes the New York State Fire Prevention and Code Council may adopt for the 2020 ECCC NYS. Visit the Department of State Uniform Code and Energy Code Update page for updates on the 2020 ECCC NYS.