EmPower New York
EmPower New York provides no-cost energy efficiency solutions to income-eligible New Yorkers. Nearly 160,000 of your neighbors are already saving energy and saving money with EmPower New York — without spending a dime. Whether you own your home or rent, we will connect you with a participating contractor [PDF] to assess if your home would benefit from free energy upgrades such as:
- Home energy assessment to identify areas of possible energy improvements
- Tips on how to save energy
- Installation of high-efficiency lighting
- Attic and wall insulation
- Installation of clean heating and cooling heat pumps
- Replacement of old, inefficient refrigerators and freezers
- Water-saving showerheads
- A monthly electric bill credit of between $5-$15 from community solar.
First, find out if you are income-eligible. Then, you can choose one of these three ways to apply:
- Complete an online application or to download a paper version
- Fill out an application request and we'll send one to you
- Call 1-877-NYSMART
- Electric customers of PSEG Long Island should participate directly through their utility unless they have a NYSERDA referral letter
Please return application via mail to the address listed below:
8 Southwoods Blvd
Albany, NY 12211
Heat Pump Incentives for Home Energy Assistance Program (HEAP) Participants
Income qualified families with a HEAP award letter dated October 1, 2021, or later, and a valid Client Identification Number (CIN) or Case number may be eligible for the installation of clean heating and cooling heat pumps in addition to other EmPower measures. Your contractor will assist you in completing any necessary paperwork to receive the heat pump incentive.
Your assessment and services are provided by a qualified contractor so you know that they’re applying the latest knowledge and technology to energy efficiency in your home. The contractor can make the upgrades too.
- Learn more about what to expect when you participate in EmPower New York
- The Konstanty family in Gasport, NY, participated in EmPower New York. Read about their experience [PDF]
- Landlords can encourage income-eligible tenants to apply. Download information for property owners [PDF]