Landowners and Local Governments
New York’s nation-leading Climate Leadership and Community Protection Act (Climate Act) mandates that 70% of electricity comes from renewables by 2030 and 100% from zero-emission sources by 2040. As New York adapts to a changing climate, solar, wind, and other renewables, combined with energy storage, will deliver affordable and reliable electricity over the next decade and beyond.
Explore the resources below to advance clean energy at the community.
Advances large-scale renewable energy projects on under-utilized land that are made build-ready for private renewable energy developers.
Read more about Build-Ready Program
Clean Energy Siting for Local Governments
Resources and training are available to support local governments in managing responsible clean energy development in their communities.
Read more about Clean Energy Siting for Local Governments
Allows everyone who pays their own electric bill, including renters, businesses, and co-op/condo owners to go solar without installing panels on their property.
Read more about Community Solar
Resources for Communities and Landowners
- NYSERDA – Landowner Considerations for Solar Land Leases Factsheet [PDF] and Guide [PDF]
- NYSERDA’s Awarded Projects - Learn more about awarded large-scale renewable projects in 2021, 2020, 2019, 2018, 2017 and dating back to 2004.
- NYSERDA – Wind Energy Guidebook: Land Agreements [PDF]
- NYSERDA – Solar Canopies for Parking Lots Fact Sheet [PDF]
- Solar Energy Industries Association – Guide to Land Leases for Solar [PDF]
- New York Farm Bureau – Leasing Your Farmland for Wind & Solar Energy Development [PDF]
- Cornell Cooperative Extension – Considerations When Leasing Agricultural Lands to Solar Developers [PDF]
You Might Also Be Interested In
- Energy Storage: Learn how integrating energy storage into the grid at scale will allow clean energy to be available when and where it is most needed.
- Solar for Your Home: Explore options, plus available incentives, to get solar for your home, whether you own or rent.
- Solar for Your Business: Discover the options and benefits of investing in solar energy for your business.