Great Lakes Wind Energy Feasibility Study
On October 15, 2020, the Commission adopted an Order to expand the State’s Clean Energy Standard in order to meet the 70 percent renewable energy by 2030 requirements of New York’s nation-leading climate legislation, the Climate Leadership and Community Protection Act (Climate Act). In this Order, the Commission instructed NYSERDA to conduct a feasibility study of Great Lakes wind energy to consider the environmental, maritime, economic, and social issues as well as market barriers and costs of developing wind in the Great Lakes as an important step toward assessing the overall value and viability of this potential resource for helping New York achieve Climate Act goals. The Commission directed NYSERDA to commence this study within 180 days of the effective date of the Order to be completed with a total budget of $1 million.
The study occurred over the course of 18 months and considered existing and emerging technologies for fixed and floating turbines (including icing considerations unique to the Great Lakes), new technology development timelines, geospatial conditions, resource assessment, regulatory processes, permitting requirements and risks, potential conflicts, costs and economic opportunities, electrical infrastructure, and overall cost-reduction pathways for Lake Erie and Lake Ontario. Four public webinars and one virtual public information session took place in the first year of study development.
- New York State Great Lakes Wind Energy Feasibility Study Main Report [PDF]
- Supporting Technical Reports:
- Evaluation of Site Conditions [PDF]
- Physical Siting Analysis [PDF]
- Geophysical and Geohazards Characterization [PDF]
- Infrastructure Assessment [PDF]
- Substructure Recommendations [PDF]
- Interconnection [PDF]
- Cost Analysis [PDF]
- Economic Development and Workforce Opportunities [PDF]
- Relative Risks, Minimization/Mitigation, and Benefits [PDF]
- Visual Impacts [PDF]
- State and Federal Permitting Roadmap [PDF]
- Public Feedback Session [PDF]
- New York State Great Lakes Wind Energy Feasibility Study - NYSERDA White Paper [PDF]
Join the Email List
To receive emails on the latest development of the Great Lakes Wind Energy Feasibility Study, sign up using the form below.
All information is assumed to be business information and is therefore not subject to the protections of the Personal Privacy Law, N.Y. Pub. Off. Law § 91 et seq. Therefore, it may be disclosed to third parties via the Freedom of Information Law.
* required field
By submitting this form, you authorize NYSERDA to add you to the mailing lists and to share your information with other New York State government entities. Your information will not be shared outside of New York State government, and you reserve the right to unsubscribe at any time.