Advisory Council Charter
Green Jobs - Green New York (GJGNY), a statewide program, promotes energy efficiency and the installation of clean technologies to reduce energy costs and limit greenhouse gas emissions. The program supports sustainable community development and creates opportunities for green jobs. New York State Energy Research and Development Authority (NYSERDA) administers the GJGNY program.
Purpose of the Advisory Council
The GJGNY legislation calls for NYSERDA to establish an Advisory Council to advise NYSERDA on program design and implementation. The Advisory Council provides input on the draft-operating plan prepared by NYSERDA, which summarizes and describes the individual programs the GJGNY program supports. Thereafter, the Advisory Council meets on at least an annual basis to review and provide input on the program. To avoid conflicts of interest at Advisory Council meetings, during these meetings Advisory Council members shall refrain from advocating for specific projects that may financially benefit themselves or the organizations they represent.
Composition of the Advisory Council
As directed by the Legislature, the GJGNY Advisory Council consists of:
- The President of NYSERDA, who serves as Chair of the Council
- The Secretary of State
- The Commissioner of Housing and Community Renewal
- The Commissioner of Labor
- The Commissioner of Temporary and Disability Assistance
- The Chair of the Consumer Protection Board
- The Chair of the Department of Public Service
- The President of the Power Authority of the State of New York
- The President of the Long Island Power Authority
- The Commissioner of Economic Development
- The Commissioner of Environmental Conservation
- Representatives of Constituency-Based Community Groups
- Consumer Advocates on utility and housing issues
- Community-Based Workforce Development Groups
- Unions, including Building Trades and Property Services
- Home Performance Contractors
- Large-Scale Construction Contractors
- Investment Market Experts
Initially, half of the members appointed server a three-year term, and the other half appointed serve a two year term. Thereafter, NYSERDA either reappoints existing members or appoints new members to serve two-year terms. NYSERDA reserves the right at any time to adjust, as necessary, the membership of the Advisory Group, consistent with the enabling legislation.
Initially, the Advisory Council will meet as often as is necessary to develop and implement the GJGNY program, upon request of the Chair of the Council. Thereafter, the Advisory Council shall meet at least annually. It is expected that members will make every effort to attend all meetings of the Advisory Council. Meetings shall be open to the public. NYSERDA staff or their designees shall prepare meeting agendas and facilitate meetings. The Facilitator will prepare notes summarizing each meeting, and publish such notes on NYSERDA's website.
Revisions to this Charter
NYSERDA may revise this Charter at any time, in a manner consistent with the GJGNY program and legislation.
Termination of the Advisory Council
The Advisory Council shall cease to exist as determined by NYSERDA consistent with the GJGNY legislation.