Charge Ready NY
The Charge Ready NY Program has exhausted all of the available funding and will no longer be accepting new applications. No additional funding is pending. NYSERDA will review any submitted applications for approval. Program participants that have approved pre-installation applications should continue to complete their projects and submit final documentation.
Bring new customers to your business, attract and retain employees and tenants, and do your part to make New York State’s environment cleaner by installing electric vehicle (EV) charging stations at your site today.
Charge Ready NY offers public and private organizations that install Level 2 EV charging stations at public parking facilities, workplaces, and multifamily apartment buildings rebates of $4,000 per charging port they install, a significant savings of 30% to 80%, depending on station and installation costs. An additional incentive of $500 per port may be awarded for eligible Level 2 charging equipment installed after December 10, 2020 within disadvantaged communities. A searchable map of disadvantaged communities in New York State can be found on NYSERDA’s website at https://nyserda.ny.gov/ny/disadvantaged-communities. Charging stations typically have one or two plugs, or charging ports, per station. Level 2 stations provide up to 25 miles of electric range to cars for each hour they are charging.
How Does the Rebate Work?
- Select an eligible charging station and network service provider
- Charging station purchasers can sign up to participate in Charge Ready NY*. Installers and vendors cannot apply on behalf of the charging station purchasers.
- When your application is approved, you'll receive a link to the NYSERDA Portal
- If you are applying before you install your charging station (pre-application), you will submit initial documents and, if your pre-application is approved, NYSERDA will reserve funds for you. You will have 180 days to install your station and submit final documentation. Documents required for pre-approval include a building permit, at least one installation quote, and a signed Site Host Agreement.
- If you have installed your charging station within the last 90 days, you can apply and submit all documentation in one submission. Documents required for final approval are listed on page 11 of the Program Implementation Manual [PDF].
- Once you have submitted all required documentation and it has been approved, you will receive your rebate from NYSERDA
Where Can I Install My Charging Station?
Any public or private entity, such as municipalities, for-profit companies, and non-profit organizations, are eligible. Charging stations must be installed at one of the following types of locations:
- Public parking lot: a parking lot with at least ten parking spaces that is open to the general public at least twelve hours per day, at least five days per week. Examples: municipal or privately operated parking lots or garages, parking at retail locations, restaurants, parks, transit stations, schools, destination locations, hotels/motels, etc.
- Workplace: a parking lot with at least ten parking spaces that primarily serves employees who work at or near the lot. Workplace sites must have a minimum of 15 employees regularly working at the site. Examples: office buildings, universities, schools, and hospitals.
- Multi-unit dwelling: A multi-unit dwelling site is a parking facility with at least eight parking spaces that primarily serves a multi-unit dwelling with five or more housing units. Examples: apartment buildings, condominiums, and co-ops.
Charging stations installed at public and workplace sites must be “networked,” or able to connect to a network that can collect data and process payments. Charging stations installed at multi-unit dwelling sites may be networked or non-networked. Additional site requirements are described in the Program Implementation Manual [PDF].
Charging stations reserved for fleet vehicles, at residential buildings with fewer than five units, including single-family homes, or at workplaces with fewer than 15 employees are NOT eligible.
Charging station owners must install charging stations that have been approved by NYSERDA and are listed on the Charge Ready NY qualified list. Charging stations must be installed at an eligible New York State location that meets the requirements for public parking facilities, workplaces, or multi-unit dwellings described above. Charging stations must be installed after the date the program started, September 18, 2018, and must remain in operation for at least five years.
Charge Ready NY rebates can be combined with the New York State tax credit for installing charging stations. The tax credit is applied after taking out the amount you receive from NYSERDA. Charge Ready NY rebates CANNOT be combined with other New York State charging station rebate programs from NYSERDA, the Department of Environmental Conservation, the New York Power Authority, or other State entities.
You can find all program rules in the Charge Ready NY Program Implementation Manual [PDF] and Equipment Owner Agreement [PDF]. Other documents, forms, and resources can be found under Program Resources.
Note that the Implementation Manual, Equipment Owner Agreement, and Site Host Agreement have been modified. Charging equipment owners may continue to submit documentation for previously submitted applications. NYSERDA will allow applicants who have already received pre-approval for charging stations to extend the period for installations to 90 days after all regions of the State have reopened. NYSERDA will also allow any eligible applicants who have completed installations of charging stations since January 1, 2020 to apply to Charge Ready NY within 90 days after all regions of the State have reopened. At this time, all regions of the State have reopened.
If you have a pre-approved application that has been approved for over 180 days, you have until October 31, 2020 to complete the installation and submit all required post-installation documents. If your application reaches the 180-day limit between now and October 31, 2020, it is included in this new deadline. All pre-approved applications that are past the 180-day deadline on November 1, 2020 will be cancelled.
If you completed your installation on or after January 1, 2020 and have not yet submitted your application, you have until October 31, 2020 to do this. After October 31, 2020, per program requirements stated in the Implementation Manual, you will be required to submit your application within 90 days of the date your stations were installed.
For more information about the Charge Ready NY program, please contact ChargeReadyNY@energycenter.org or 866-595-7917.
How Much Money Is Available?
NYSERDA has committed $17 million for Charge Ready NY. You can track the amount of available funds remaining as the money is committed.