Senior Project Manager, Technology to Market - Albany or New York City Office
New York is leading the nation in the fight on global climate change and the transition to a clean energy-powered economy. With the passage of the Climate Leadership and Community Protection Act [PDF] (CLCPA), New York has codified the most aggressive climate change program in the nation with goals to:
- Produce 70% of its electricity from renewable sources by 2030
- Reach zero carbon emissions in the electricity sector by 2040
- Install 9 gigawatts of offshore wind by 2035
- Install 6 gigawatts of solar by 2025
- Install 3 gigawatts of energy storage by 2030
Additionally, the law creates the Climate Action Council comprised of the leaders of various state agencies and authorities as well as legislative appointments to develop a plan outlining how the state will achieve an 85% reduction in greenhouse gas emissions from 1990 levels by 2050 and eventually net zero emissions in all sectors of the economy.
The New York State Energy Research and Development Authority (“NYSERDA”) is searching for a Senior Project Manager to serve as a leader on the Technology to Market team. The State and NYSERDA rely on the NYSERDA Technology to Market team to inform policymaking with expertise on cutting-edge technology solutions and trends in technology commercialization and to invest across a broad set of technologies, solutions and business models in support of the State’s decarbonization goals. Supporting innovation is a key NYSERDA and State strategy to meet its Climate Act goals.
The Technology to Market team at NYSERDA informs State policymaking on market adoption of climate technologies through formal and informal working groups and task forces. Additionally, the Team manages programs that accelerate the development and commercialization of the climate solutions New York State needs to achieve its Climate Act goals.
The team also supports entrepreneurs through fellowship and similar human capital-focused programming. The NYSERDA Technology to Market team consists of 8 experienced full-time professionals as well as support from mid-career experts through its Innovation Advisor program. The team is also supported by its Investor Advisory Board, made up of successful professional investors in the climate tech ecosystem. The Technology to Market portfolio includes >$130 million of programs under management, the majority of which provide climate technology companies with direct investment capital or programming to support accelerated growth and commercialization of climate tech companies and solutions. The team has an additional >$50m of capital for which new programs will be developed over the coming twenty-four months.
The Senior Project Manager, Technology to Market, is expected to immediately play an important leadership role within the Technology to Market and broader NYSERDA Innovation team.
- Actively manage the >$130 million existing portfolio of contracts and partners including The Clean Fight, Venture For ClimateTech, NYSERDA’s EIR program, direct investments in start-ups, and others
- Manage a collaborative, high-impact entrepreneurial team
- Build and implement processes and management tools to ensure efficient and effective teamwork within the Team and between the Team and other NYSERDA teams
- Act as Team liaison to NYSERDA procurement, legal, communications, and other departments to ensure timely collaboration
- Manage the development of policy and program presentations, memos, project plans, and other deliverables as needed
- Collaborate with the Director of Tech to Market on the design and launch of new investment programs
- Represent NYSERDA to our partners and State agencies and authorities to ensure coordination between the state of the climate tech market and New York State policy
- Perform other responsibilities as required
- 8 years of relevant clean energy or climate technology experience as described above
- Bachelor’s degree
- A successful track record of managing teams with diverse skillsets and backgrounds
- Attention to detail and strong personal organizational skills
- Exceptional written and oral communications skills and the ability to edit and convert complex themes and information into digestible written and verbal content
- Excellent critical thinking and problem-solving skills
- The ability to successfully manage multiple complex projects concurrently under deadline
- Comfortability with ambiguity and experience effectively managing shifting priorities and deadlines
- Strong work ethic
- Resolute Integrity
- Leadership and/or project management experience within a government entity
- Management consulting experience or an MBA
- Knowledge of innovation policy and an understanding of the role of regulation, policy and procurement in the commercialization of climate solutions
- Experience negotiating contracts and developing scopes of work with third party partners and/or consultants
- Experience issuing grants or investments
Candidates will be considered based on qualifications and experience. An excellent benefits package is offered.
Please submit one file that includes both your cover letter and resume.