Project Manager, Energy-Related Environmental Research - Albany Office
New York is leading the nation in the fight on global climate change and the transition to a clean energy-powered economy. The Climate Leadership and Community Protection Act (Climate Act) [PDF] has created the most aggressive climate change goals in the nation and requires an ambitious agenda that blends proven catalysts with innovative approaches while operating across a broader energy arena that is rapidly evolving. New York State Energy Research & Development Authority (NYSERDA) is a driving force in realizing this agenda. NYSERDA works with stakeholders that span residents, business owners, developers, community leaders, local government officials, universities, utilities, investors, entrepreneurs, and more, to develop, invest, and foster conditions that:
- Attract the private sector capital investment needed to expand New York’s clean energy economy
- Overcome barriers to using clean energy at a large-scale in New York
- Enable New York’s communities and residents to benefit equitably from energy efficiency and renewable energy
NYSERDA seeks a creative, self-motivated and knowledgeable individual with environmental research and project management skills as well as communications and interpersonal skills to lead the ecosystems and alternative energy components of the Energy-Related Environmental Research program portfolio https://www.nyserda.ny.gov/All-Programs/Programs/Environmental-Research. This program provides the knowledge necessary to better understand and reduce the adverse energy-related impacts that damage New York’s ecosystems and the health of its citizens; supports environmental accountability for existing and future energy and environmental policies; and guides cleaner, more environmentally thoughtful alternatives in ways that advance New York’s energy policies.
The successful candidate will develop, procure and manage a policy-relevant portfolio of research, assessment and monitoring projects relating to:
- effects and recovery of New York’s ecosystems from the deposition of oxides of nitrogen and sulfur (acidic deposition), and mercury
- the physical, chemical, and biological impacts of climate change on New York’s ecosystems and working lands including carbon sequestration
- the siting and project design effects of large-scale photovoltaic and wind energy and other renewable energy projects on wildlife, ecosystems and society.
Outputs from this work will include peer-reviewed publications, NYSERDA reports and outreach materials making the information available to a wide range of stakeholders.
- Identify promising energy-related environmental research areas targeting current and anticipated policy needs, and coordinate overall strategic planning for applicable program components
- Develop solicitations and other procurement mechanisms and contract and manage resulting projects related to the impacts of electricity generation on ecosystems, primarily sulfur, nitrogen, mercury and climate forcing factors, and the interaction of these issues
- Develop and manage projects related to the environmental impacts of alternative and renewable energy such as commercial scale photovoltaic systems and commercial land-based wind energy development
- Coordinate with the Large-Scale Renewables and NY-Sun Teams on all renewable workstreams
- Develop and implement effective strategies to convey scientific information to policy makers, resource managers, renewable energy developers and other stakeholders and gather feedback to inform future research
- Lead and collaborate with agricultural, environmental, and energy-informed stakeholders through a working group to effectively inform renewable energy development.
- Work with the Program’s’ Science and Program Advisors, colleagues, partners, associations and researchers to regularly update research plans and activities to ensure that the program is effectively informing current, and anticipating future, policy needs through science-based research
- Seek opportunities for collaboration with other groups and organizations to leverage funding, data, and the dissemination of credible information
- Support tracking of metrics and reporting on accomplishments
- Maintain a network of stakeholders, market participants, policy experts, and other sources of insight to inform program and project design, and enable ongoing improvement of NYSERDA's strategies and interventions
- Work effectively and collaboratively with multiple teams across NYSERDA for optimal outcomes
- Periodically serve as mentor to student interns or program support staff
- Perform other responsibilities as assigned
- 5 years of relevant experience in energy-related environmental issues
- A bachelor’s degree
- Knowledge of the potential environmental impacts of current and emerging renewable energy technologies and the associated State and federal regulatory structures; environmental monitoring of ecosystems; environmental research; and State and federal energy and environmental policies and regulations relating to acidic deposition, mercury, and climate change
- Proven ability to collaborate and communicate effectively with a wide range of stakeholders, holding sometimes conflicting perspectives, to seek feedback, input and identify common objectives
- Skill in gaining and using insight from colleagues and external groups to formulate strategy and design solutions
- Demonstrated abilities for problem-solving, resourcefulness, adaptability, and pragmatic solutions
- Skill in managing multiple diverse activities simultaneously, operating with speed, accuracy and strong judgment
- Strong work ethic and integrity
- Proven presentation and interpersonal skills that resonate with audiences of different backgrounds and the ability to communicate accurately, persuasively, concisely and unambiguously in speech and in writing
- Experience with members of New York State’s environmental community, such as non-governmental groups, state agencies, research institutions, environmental consulting firms, and key influential stakeholders
- An advanced science degree
The salary range is $68,901 - $115,490. Candidates will be considered based on qualifications and experience. An excellent benefits package is offered.
Please submit one file that includes both your cover letter and resume.