NYSERDA is partnering with local communities across New York State to identify and advance under-utilized land for renewable energy projects. NYSERDA takes difficult sites and makes them "build-ready" for private renewable energy developers to ultimately construct and operate.
Renewable energy projects not only provide a source of energy that is environmentally sustainable—they make good neighbors by unlocking new revenue, creating local jobs, and transforming previously under-utilized spaces.
Under-utilized lands include, but are not limited to:
- Existing or abandoned commercial sites
- Former commercial or industrial sites
- Dormant electric generating sites
How Build-Ready Works
- Site Nomination and Identification : An elected official, local community member, private company, or other interested party nominates a potential Build-Ready site through our nomination form.
- Site Evaluation: NYSERDA conducts an evaluation to assess the viability of the site.
- Permitting, Design, Interconnection & Benefits: If the site is viable, NYSERDA works with municipalities to advance the permitting, design and interconnection process. In parallel, NYSERDA actively engages with the host community to put together a customized benefits package.
- Auction Site, Construction & Operation: NYSERDA auctions the site to private renewable energy developers through an open and competitive process for construction and operation.
First Project Site
NYSERDA is advancing the first Build-Ready project site through initial assessment and analysis of technical development potential.
Nominate a site for consideration as a Build-Ready Project. The Build-Ready Program will review and evaluate the site and determine if it’s a good candidate for a Build-Ready Project. More information .
Build-Ready Auction Request for Information (RFI 5034)
Responses due June 6, 2022, 3:00 PM ET
The Build-Ready Program is providing information and soliciting feedback on its proposed auction process as well as the preferred timing to auction the Build-Ready (BR) Benson Mines Solar Project to the private sector. The Program seeks input from interested stakeholders, with a focus on solar developers, from across New York State. More information.
- Local government fact sheet [PDF]
- Build Ready Community Benefits Package [PDF]
- Minimizing Conflicts and Competition Between Build-Ready and Commercial Developers [PDF]
The Accelerated Renewable Energy Growth and Community Benefit Act legislation may be accessed via Part JJJ of the Transportation, Economic Development and Environmental Conservation (TED) Bill, beginning on page 103 .
- Clean Energy Resources Development and Incentives: The Build-Ready Program Annual Progress Report, 2021 [PDF], released April 2022
- New York Public Service Commission Order Approving Build-Ready Program [PDF], released October 15, 2020
- Build-Ready Implementation Plan [PDF], released January 2021
- Clean Energy Resources Development and Incentives: The Build-Ready Program Annual Progress Report, 2020 [PDF], released April 2021