Senior Analyst, Large-Scale Renewables - Albany or New York City Office
New York is leading the nation in the fight on global climate change and the transition to a clean energy-powered economy. With the passage of the Climate Leadership and Community Protection Act (Climate Act) , New York has codified the most aggressive climate change program in the nation to achieve an 85% reduction in greenhouse gas emissions from 1990 levels by 2050 and 40% reduction in greenhouse gas emissions by 2030 - all while delivering critical benefits to historically underserved and otherwise disadvantaged communities. Doing so requires an ambitious agenda that blends proven catalysts with innovative approaches while operating within a broader energy arena that is rapidly evolving.
The New York State Energy Research & Development Authority, NYSERDA, is a driving force in realizing this agenda. NYSERDA works with stakeholders spanning residents, business owners, developers, community leaders, local government officials, universities, utilities, investors, entrepreneurs, and more, to develop, invest and foster conditions that:
- Attract the private sector capital investment needed to expand New York’s clean energy economy
- Overcome barriers to using clean energy at a large-scale in New York
- Enable New York’s communities and residents to benefit from energy efficiency and renewable energy
Our ultimate mission is to advance clean energy innovation and investments to combat climate change, improving the health, resiliency, and prosperity of New Yorkers and delivering benefits equitably to all.
The Large-Scale Renewables team seeks to hire a Senior Analyst to support and lead various analytic-based tasks related to the achievement of the State’s clean energy mandates. This role will be responsible for the creation and delivery of analysis that enables data-driven, informed decision-making in complex, new and changing market constructs. Furthermore, this role is at the core of the Large-Scale Renewables team and directly supports nearly every aspect of the program including wind, solar and off-shore wind procurements and program operation, load-serving entity obligations and REC sales. Tasks will require a combination of various skillsets, including project management, financial modeling, clear communication, and technical writing. This role involves both directly performing analysis and managing and collaborating with contractors. High-quality analysis is critical and so is being able to convey results and program policy options to a range of audiences including executive management – communication skills are a key aspect of this role.
- Contribute to New York’s strategic decision making and renewable policy development by providing input regarding the financial costs, stakeholder needs, policy alignment, and potential market impacts of such decisions as understood through rigorous market analysis
- Build, operate and/or analyze energy financial models and forecasts (i.e., Microsoft Excel)
- Work in close collaboration with NYSERDA’s Energy and Environmental Analysis team to quantify and forecast economics associated with New York’s large-scale renewable projects
- Manage a team of external consultants to maintain and utilize modeling tools capturing the State’s large-scale renewable potential, including technologies such as land-based wind, offshore wind, solar PV, hydro, and hydrogen
- Support various regulatory filings issued by NYSERDA, advancing initiatives such as Tier 1 REC and OREC procurements, which together support the implementation of the State’s Climate Leadership and Community Protection Act
- Support the team by developing strategies that overcome clean energy market barriers and accelerate the scale and penetration of clean energy projects in New York
- Acquire, research, structure, and analyze data from public, industry and proprietary sources
- Oversee the work of various consultants and technical contractors, including project management such as writing statements of work, issuing contracts, budgeting, and invoicing
- Continually seek opportunities to learn, grow and expand skillsets
- Perform other tasks as assigned
- 8 years industry experience related to project finance, renewable energy project development or another related field
- Bachelor's degree
- Knowledge of and insight into renewable energy technology, environmental impacts and markets, and market actors, economics, and impediments
- Demonstrated capacity for analytical thinking, problem-solving ability, resourcefulness, adaptability, and an instinct for generating value and pragmatic solutions
- Skill in managing multiple, diverse projects or activities simultaneously, delivering on commitments and operating with speed, accuracy and strong judgement
- Advanced communication and presentation skills; demonstrated ability to (i) break down new and complex topics, and (ii) communicate clear insights
- Project management and leadership skills including the ability to work as a team member, to maintain project timelines, budgets, and deliver on commitments
- Highest level of communication and interpersonal skills involving the ability to work cross-functionally to understand requirements, present alternatives and recommendations
- Commercial mindset with clear understanding of finance and economic concepts
- Experienced in energy modeling, analysis and consulting, renewable energy project development or renewable energy finance, utility operations or independent system operator functions
- Knowledge of wholesale energy markets and systems, renewable energy technology and associated infrastructure
- Strong stakeholder outreach and engagement capabilities including strong public speaking and presentation skills
- Ability to work both well independently and within broad, diverse teams, building relationships with other department to accomplish objectives
- Highly organized and detail-oriented; able to lead work streams and contribute in a supporting capacity
- Ability to cope with tight deadlines and high-stress work environment
- Entrepreneurial and innovative; energized by engaging in new industries/technologies; continuous learner mindset
- Demonstrated organizational and process management skills
- Advanced Excel user, knowledge of other software a plus, including Tableau
The salary is $101,403 - $128,142. Candidates will be considered based on qualifications and experience. An excellent benefits package is offered.
Please submit one file that includes both your cover letter and resume.