Program Manager, Energy Markets - Albany or New York City Office
New York is leading the nation in the fight on global climate change and the transition to a clean energy-powered economy. With the passage of the Climate Leadership and Community Protection Act (Climate Act) , New York has codified the most aggressive climate change program in the nation with goals to produce 70% of its electricity from renewable sources by 2030; reach zero carbon emissions in the electricity sector by 2040; and install 9 gigawatts of offshore wind by 2035, 6 gigawatts of solar by 2025, and 3 gigawatts of energy storage by 2030. Additionally, the law creates the Climate Action Council, comprised of the leaders of various state agencies and authorities as well as legislative appointments, to develop a plan outlining how the state will achieve an 85% reduction in greenhouse gas emissions from 1990 levels by 2050 and eventually net zero emissions in all sectors of the economy – all while delivering critical benefits to historically underserved and otherwise disadvantaged communities.
New York State Energy Research and Development Authority (NYSERDA) seeks a resourceful, self-motivated and knowledgeable individual to lead the Energy Markets Team within Energy and Environmental Analysis. The Energy Markets Team assists New York State energy policy decision-makers and supports informed energy and climate action planning by providing intelligence on current energy market dynamics, essential considerations for emerging clean energy sources, long-range system changes, and workforce priorities. Climate action at the state-level will require the Energy Markets Team to work with New York State agencies to realize their needed internal transformation to become agents of decarbonization.
Tasks will require a combination of skillsets including strategic thinking, staff development and empowerment, data analysis, clear communication, and technical writing. The ideal candidate should be passionate about NYSERDA’s mission, demonstrate strong research and analytic skills, show high attention to detail, and have strong communication and interpersonal skills
Strategic Leadership and Market Analysis
- Contribute to the State’s overall energy and climate policy development through activities including the New York State Energy Plan and Climate Action Council Scoping Plan
- Manage studies and develop policy recommendations concerning the relative merits and economic development opportunities related to emerging clean energy technologies and identify strategies to overcome barriers or other market dynamics that interfere with their adoption; including analysis pertaining to the future of the natural gas system, smart buildings, distributed energy resources and other essential topics pertaining to the energy transition
- Provide monitoring and strategic analysis of evolving energy workforce dynamics to respond to and anticipate changes as part of New York’s clean energy transition
- Support New York State agencies’ internal decarbonization planning
- Develop reports on emergent energy market issues; engage in New York’s electricity system market development at the bulk and distribution levels; advance new strategies through research and stakeholder engagement
- Apply knowledge of energy systems infrastructures, reliability requirements and market dynamics to inform policy or project formation and to represent NYSERDA at various forums to provide expert knowledge of New York State system requirements
- Assess energy market price trends, price and use forecasts, supply-demand dynamics, and potential fuel supply infrastructure constraints to inform NYSERDA program development, as well as government decision-makers
- Supervise execution of weekly survey program of heating fuels including collection of primary data, and review and analysis of pricing information
- Develop briefings and presentations for NYSERDA Executives and the Board of Directors
- Perform other responsibilities as assigned
People Leadership and Development
- Lead and manage the Energy Markets team at NYSERDA
- Foster and contribute to a culture of excellence grounded in people development, learning, problem solving, and teamwork
- Develop staff and colleagues to meet NYSERDA's goals and their own professional goals; serve as a mentor and a role model
- Serve as a thought leader within NYSERDA; stay current with developments in energy policy, markets, finance and technologies
- Foster multidisciplinary networks within NYSERDA and at NY State's Green Bank, Department of Public Service, other agencies, and the Governor's office to advance the State’s success
- 8 years of relevant experience with a demonstrated record of success in setting strategy and informing decision within business, non-profit or government operating environments
- Strong knowledge base of: clean energy, environmental and climate policy approaches and mechanisms in New York and other jurisdictions; economic considerations of clean energy alternatives including environmental externalities; and fuel and electricity market structure and dynamics and energy and environmental regulatory structures
- Top-notch presentation and interpersonal skills that resonate with audiences of different backgrounds; the ability to communicate persuasively, concisely and unambiguously in speech and in writing for broader audience consumption including policy decision-makers, sister agencies and third-party constituent interests such as industry, environmental organizations, consumer interests
- Strong diplomatic and discretion skills to navigate sensitive projects and policy negotiations among executive teams with varied interests
- Track record in leading and motivating teams to achieve their potential including staff at remote sites and external consultants while being an exceptional mentor and developer of talent
- Strong team builder with an ability to build productive relationships across a diverse organization
- Demonstrated problem-solving ability, resourcefulness and adaptability
- Relentless work ethic and resolute integrity
- Bachelor’s degree, graduate degree preferred
The salary is $116,686 - $147,256. Candidates will be considered based on qualifications and experience. An excellent benefits package is offered.
Please submit one file that includes both your cover letter and resume.