Retail & Office
Retail stores and offices rely on energy to provide comfortable and welcoming spaces.
Discover new ways managing energy can drive employee and customer satisfaction.
How you benefit
- Increase profitability through long-term, reduced energy costs
- Create comfortable and productive environments for your employees and customers
- Enhance your brand reputation as a committed sustainability leader
- Attract employees and customers seeking sustainability-minded organizations
- Reduce your carbon footprint and contribute to a cleaner and healthier community
Key energy saving opportunities
1. High-Efficiency Lighting Design
Energy-efficient lighting in retail stores and offices can save money, drive employee productivity, and encourage customers to shop longer. In comparison to conventional lighting options, high-efficiency lighting uses less energy, costs less to operate, and can last much longer than traditional options—up to 25 years. Consider also using daylighting to bring more natural light into your space, creating an inviting and comfortable environment.
2. Heating, Ventilation, and Air Conditioning (HVAC) System Upgrades
Heating and cooling is often the largest expense for offices and retail stores. By properly maintaining equipment or upgrading to high-efficiency HVAC systems, you can improve your office’s or store’s energy performance. If your system is more than 10 years old or not working effectively, consider upgrading to a newer, more energy-efficient model. Newer systems can improve employee and customer comfort with better climate and temperature control.
3. Energy-Efficient Office Equipment
IT equipment can use a significant amount of electricity. Even when turned off, your equipment may be consuming large amounts of energy. You can save money by using ENERGY STAR® certified equipment, such as computers, monitors, printers, and copiers. Consider also using equipment power management tools, such as advanced power strips. These strips eliminate energy consumption by automatically turning power off when IT equipment is not being used.
4. Electric Vehicle (EV) Charging Stations
With the availability of New York State financial incentives, installing an EV charging station or stations is a great business opportunity for commercial offices and retailers. Your business can serve as an attractive destination for the tens of thousands of electric vehicle owners in New York State, whether they are your customers or your employees. Installing charging stations can also enhance your brand reputation as a sustainability leader.
Retail programs and resources
- Commercial Tenant Program (NYSERDA) - professional guidance and financial support for energy efficiency improvements in tenant office spaces
- Commercial Building Performance (Con Edison) - technical guidance for Con Edison customers looking to reduce energy consumption in commercial buildings
- Upstate New York Grocer Initiative (National Grid) - technical guidance and incentives for upstate grocery store customers making energy efficiency upgrades
For a full list of programs, visit our energy programs and incentives page.
Sign up for news
Stay up-to-date on energy saving programs and incentives, industry best practices, and more.Stay Connected