Become a Participating Contractor
NY-Sun depends on a network of qualified contractors and builders to install new grid-connected solar arrays for customers throughout New York State. Participating contractors gain access to our incentive program, which subsidizes the cost of installations and makes the prospect of going solar more attractive to potential customers. Contractors can participate in the Residential & Nonresidential and/or the Commercial & Industrial programs. Details about each program can be found below.
To become a participating contractor in the Residential & Nonresidential and/or Commercial & Industrial programs, companies must submit a NY-Sun Contractor Application.
Before you start, use the NY-Sun Contractor Application checklist [PDF] to guide you through the document requirements.
Residential & Nonresidential Program
The Residential & Nonresidential Program incentivizes installations of solar panel systems that generate up to 750kW in Upstate and Long Island regions, and up to 7.5MW in Con Edison region.
Residential & Nonresidential Program participants can register as contractors, builders, or both. Contractors are responsible for the contracting process with the customer, whereas builders are responsible for installing the system.
- Companies approved as both contractors and builders are responsible for all aspects of their projects
- Before a contractor and builder can work together, they must establish a contractor-builder relationship agreement through the NY-Sun program
- For details on the roles and responsibilities of each, see the “Qualifications, Roles, and Responsibilities” section of the applicable program manual for the region your project is located within: Con Edison Program Manual [PDF] or Upstate and Long Island Program Manual [PDF]
- Incentives are available only for new solar panel systems installed by participating contractors and builders
Commercial & Industrial Program
The Commercial & Industrial Program incentivizes installations of solar panel systems in Upstate region that are greater than 750kW. These incentives are based on the performance of the system. Applicants interested in receiving incentives for solar panel systems greater than 750kW in Con Edison region should submit a contractor application to the Residential & Nonresidential Program.
Commercial & Industrial Program participants can register as a contractor. For details on the roles and responsibilities, see the “Qualifications, Roles, and Responsibilities” section of the Upstate and Long Island Program Manual [PDF].
How to Apply
To participate in either program, a company must submit an online application. Once a company is approved as a participant, it will be given access to the NYSERDA Portal to begin submitting project applications.
- Before you start the online application, use the NY-Sun Contractor Application checklist [PDF] to guide you through the document requirements
- Depending on the region of your project, read either the Con Edison Program Manual [PDF] or Upstate and Long Island Program Manual [PDF] for complete program details
- Read and agree to the Participation Agreement [PDF]
- Complete the online Contractor Application
Sign up to receive the latest updates about our Residential & Nonresidential and Commercial & Industrial Programs.