Community Solar for Home
Save with Solar without Installing Panels
Community solar allows New Yorkers to save money every month on their electric bills. Unlike traditional solar, where an array is installed on your roof or property, community solar is installed at an offsite location. Find a Qualified
Solar Project You can subscribe to the community solar project and receive credits on your regular electric bill for the clean energy produced. Everyone, including renters and co-op/condo owners, can save money by accessing the clean energy produced by these solar farms.
To start saving, select a community solar subscription plan that works for you. You will keep your current electric utility and start seeing a credit on your monthly bill based on how much energy is generated by your community solar project.
Why Choose Community Solar
Community solar provides New Yorker’s with the opportunity to:
- Go solar without installing solar panels on your roof or property. Everyone who pays their own electric bill, including renters and co-op/condo owners, can participate in a community solar project. You can even subscribe to community solar if you live in an apartment or your home is in a shady area that isn’t suited to solar panels.
- Little to no upfront costs. Since you won’t need to install solar panels, the upfront costs of going solar with a community solar provider are minimal.
- Save money every month on your electric bill. You’ll see credits every month on the electric bill you receive from your utility. The amount credited each month will depend on the amount of solar energy generated by your selected project.
- Lower your carbon footprint and support your local economy. When you choose community solar, you’re not only helping to reduce greenhouse gas emissions, you’re also supporting clean, locally generated electricity.
- Minimal commitment. Community solar subscriptions also have shorter term options and many offer pay-as-you-go payment terms.
While much less common than subscription plans, some community solar projects offer purchase plans that allow you to own a portion of a community solar project. While ownership is a long-term commitment, it can result in greater savings potential overtime and allow you to take advantage of tax credits.