Electric Vehicles & Charging Stations
Join New York State’s transportation transformation—install charging stations at your business or create a sustainable fleet of vehicles
How it works
With the availability of federal and state incentives, many companies—from small stores to large manufacturers—are replacing their gasoline fleets with sustainable electric vehicles (EVs). New York State is striving to be ready to accommodate more than 1 million EVs by 2025. Compared to gasoline-powered cars, EVs are more energy efficient and cost approximately 50 to 70 percent less to operate per mile.
There are two primary types of EVs: plug-in hybrids and battery-powered vehicles. Plug-in hybrids have larger batteries than conventional hybrids and keep gasoline or diesel engines as backups. Battery-powered cars do not have gasoline or diesel engines and instead have electric motors, power electronics, and battery packs.
If you manage a commercial property, retail store, public parking facility, or a similar type of site, installing an EV charging station or stations is a good business opportunity. Your business can serve as an attractive destination for the tens of thousands of electric vehicle owners in New York State, whether they are your customers or employees.
How you benefit
- Spend less on fuel and maintenance costs for your vehicle fleet
- Enhance your brand reputation as an organization committed to sustainability
- Access point-of-sale rebates and federal tax credits for purchasing or leasing an EV
- Increase employee and customer satisfaction by offering EV charging options
- Reduce your carbon footprint and contribute to a cleaner and healthier community
When you should consider it
Electric vehicles and charging stations may be good for your business if you are:
- Managing a fleet of vehicles for your business
- Making frequent trips in areas with a high proximity to charging stations
- Working to reduce fuel and maintenance costs for your fleet
- Looking to attract sustainably conscious employees and customers to your business
- Identifying ways to demonstrate leadership in innovation by adopting new technologies
- Trying to obtain or improve a green building certification for your building
Sign up for news
Stay up-to-date on energy-saving programs and incentives, industry best practices, and more.Stay Connected