Home Energy Rater Frequently Asked Questions

Q: What certification is required to become a Home Energy Rater?

A: All Home Energy Raters must successfully complete training by a Residential Energy Services Network (RESNET) accredited rater training organization. Once training is complete, you are required to take the RESNET National Rater Test and receive a score of 80% or better. This test is used to demonstrate your practical, working ability and knowledge of building science concepts and rating procedures.

Q: Where can I find a Home Energy Rating Provider who participates in the New York ENERGY STAR Certified Homes Program?

A: There are a number of participants who can provide technical assistance and conduct Home Energy Ratings in New York State. Use our Resource Locator Map to find a RESNET Accredited Provider near you.

Q: What kind of support and Home Energy Rater training is available?

A: To become a Home Energy Rater partnered with NYSERDA, and be authorized to serve builders in the Low-rise Residential New Construction Program, you must first complete the necessary training through a training provider accredited by the Residential Energy Services Network (RESNET). NYSERDA partners with several RESNET accredited Home Energy Training Providers to prepare students for the RESNET National Rater Certification.