Building Operations and Maintenance
Workforce Development and Training Program
Building operations and maintenance employees are key to building managers and owners in reducing energy costs and carbon emissions. Improving the skills of these employees can significantly improve building efficiency and reduce operating costs, while contributing to the State’s energy efficiency and emission reduction goals.
PON 3715: Building Operations and Maintenance training program is designed to develop training projects that create the educational strategy, on-site training framework, and tools needed to advance the skills of building operations and maintenance workers and to prepare new workers beyond conventional classroom training.
Explore projects funded to date:
Proposals must be for buildings or groups of buildings, including partnerships between businesses with common training needs, with annual energy expenditures of $1 million or more. NYSERDA will provide funding of up to 70% with a cap of $400,000 per proposal when 75% or more of buildings employing O&M workers are located in a Disadvantaged Community. For all other projects, NYSERDA will provide funding of up to 50 percent of the cost of eligible projects, with a cap of $400,000 per application.
Building Operations and Maintenance Training Projects funded to date have supported:
- on-site training facilities
- customized curriculum development
- coaching/mentoring programs
- on-demand training videos
Example building systems and technical topics covered by training:
- Energy Management Systems
- Steam Systems
- Hot water Heating
- Chilled Water Systems
- Economizer / Ventilation Controls
- Fan Optimization and Air Distribution
- HVAC Equipment Scheduling
- Packaged and split HVAC maintenance
- Domestic Hot Water
- Water pump optimization
- Building Envelope
- Understanding Building Energy Scores
Read the following case studies to see what the Building Operations & Maintenance program has done for other organizations:
- Weill Cornell Medicine [PDF]
- Prestige Management [PDF]
- New York State Schools Facilities Association [PDF]
- Time Equities Management [PDF]
- Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center [PDF]
Complete program details, including how to apply online, are outlined in Workforce Training: Building Operations & Maintenance (PON 3715).
Email email@example.com with questions on the Building Operations and Maintenance Workforce Development program.