The New York State Energy Research and Development Authority (NYSERDA) seeks a person knowledgeable about residential and commercial building energy codes, particularly the New York State Energy Conservation and Construction Code, to lead NYSERDA’s codes and standards efforts. The selected individual will develop, execute and drive codes and standards advancement and compliance strategies, including engaging with the market, managing interventions, assessing progress, and coordinating activities with various stakeholders and with other NYSERDA strategies and interventions. Typical strategies may include: a New York stretch code, training, direct support, guidance documents, or new market roles. The selected person will interact closely with the Department of State, builders, architects and engineers, building code officials, U.S. Department of Energy, national labs, and energy advocacy organizations. This position may require 20-30% travel.
- Identify, develop and support strategies to advance the code towards zero-net energy standards and make it more accessible to address the state’s sustainability and carbon reduction goals
- Identify, develop and support creative strategies and services for code officials, architects, engineers, and builders across the state to maximize code compliance within the support infrastructure in New York
- Evolve and continuously adapt strategies to optimize impact and effectiveness based on results, market data and insights, evaluation, expertise, and critical thinking
- Develop collaborative relationships and engage with key stakeholders and partners in the design and construction community, such as builders, raters, code officials, architects, engineers, vendors, and trade associations to identify issues and market-resonant solutions
- Solicit, develop and effectively manage consultant contracts against established risks, deliverables, schedule and budget to insure maximum likelihood of success and prudent use of NYSERDA resources
- Quantify and document program activities and assess progress against established goals
- Coordinate closely with the Department of State on compliance activities, reporting and planning for code updates
- Represent NYSERDA in collaborative efforts with private and public organizations and institutions
- Maintain subject matter expertise on codes and standards issues and provide support as needed to other NYSERDA programs
- Supervise staff and work closely and actively engage with other NYSERDA teams involved with synergistic efforts
- Perform other responsibilities as assigned
- Strong understanding of code, building science, engineering, and related construction market issues for residential and commercial building and building systems design and operation
- Experience in the building design, review and approval process and familiarity with building plans and specifications
- Strong understanding of Energy Code standards such as ASHRAE, the International Energy Codes and the New York State Energy Conservation and Construction Code
- Strong project management skills and the ability to successfully multi-task, set priorities & meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment
- Superior interpersonal and presentation skills that resonate with audiences of different backgrounds and a demonstrated ability to develop relations with key stakeholder groups
- Supervisory skills and experience
- Must be a self-starter and function well independently and in teams
- A Bachelor’s degree in architecture, engineering, mathematics, natural or environmental science, or a related discipline, plus at least 5 years of relevant experience with building energy codes; or
- A non-related Bachelor’s degree plus at least 6 years of relevant experience with building energy codes
Preference will be given to those individuals who possess:
- Architectural or Engineering Licensure in New York
- Experience with compliance tools and software such as ResCheck, ComCheck, RemRate, HERS tools, DOE 2.2, LEED, and others
- Experience in code enforcement, education and development
Candidates will be considered for Senior Project Manager based on qualifications and experience. An excellent benefits package is also offered.
Please submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com. When applying, please include the Position’s Title & Job Code 373 in the Subject Line.
Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current compensation, or any prior compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Governor’s Office of Employee Relations at (518) 474-6988 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.