Internship: Information Technology - Data Governance Office - Albany Office
New York is leading the nation in the fight on global climate change and the transition to a clean energy-powered economy. With the passage of the Climate Leadership and Community Protection Act, New York has codified the most aggressive climate change program in the nation with goals to reach zero carbon emissions in the electricity sector by 2040; install 9 gigawatts of offshore wind by 2035; 6 gigawatts of solar by 2025; and 3 gigawatts of energy storage by 2030. Additionally, the law creates the Climate Action Council comprised of the leaders of various state agencies and authorities as well as legislative appointments to develop a plan outlining how the state will achieve an 85% reduction in GHG emissions from 1990 levels by 2050, and eventually net zero emissions in all sectors of the economy.
The Data Governance Office seeks an intern with a keen eye for detail who is a team player, dependable, and eager to learn. The Data Governance Office reports to the Chief Information Officer, works closely with the Chief Information Security Officer and Legal team, and supports all teams across NYSERDA.
Interns who are interested in energy efficiency, renewable energy, data management, data security, open data, or analyzing data are encouraged to apply. The selected intern will gain skills in implementing data management best practices, information security, and data analysis while learning about NYSERDA’s wide breadth of program offerings.
This is a paid internship for current, full-time students. The pay rate is from $15 to $17 per hour based on current class year. This internship will begin June 1, 2022, and continue through the summer and academic year. Interns work up to 18.5 hours per week during the semester, and up to 37.5 hours per week in between semesters, when not attending class.
- Ensure the overall Confidentiality, Integrity, and Availability (CIA) of data by drafting, reviewing, and updating data policies and procedures, and developing or updating Data Governance articles for end-users.
- Assist in the classification of information assets
- Perform information security audits on third party platforms to ensure compliance with NYS policies
- Lead the Cyber Security Awareness Month effort by developing a communication strategy and infographic security tips that cyber security threats are real
- Conduct data analyses including geocoding customer and vendor addresses
- Assist with data compiling, analyses, and reporting
- Work with all teams across the Authority to make public data accessible to both internal and external stakeholders, and to secure sensitive data
- Assist with compiling datasets and supporting documentation for publication on the Open NY website
- Collaborate with other members of the IT department to develop solutions to store, collect, and share data based upon the classification of the data
- Participate in Lean projects to maximize customer value while minimizing waste
- Perform other responsibilities as assigned
- Current, full-time undergraduate or Masters student, with knowledge or experience in data management or data security
- Proven analytical and problem-solving skills with proficiency in Microsoft Office Excel, Word, Outlook, and PowerPoint. Knowledge of Microsoft Teams desired
- Demonstrated ability to research primary and secondary sources
- Strong work ethic and ability to take initiative
- Results oriented: skilled in managing multiple activities, delivering on commitments, operating with speed, honed attention to detail, and strong judgment
- Strong verbal and written communication skills with the ability to articulate and succinctly summarize complex concepts
- Familiar with and desire to learn more about energy and the environment
Please submit one file that includes both your cover letter and resume.Apply Now