Internship: Counsel - Albany Office
New York is leading the nation in the fight on global climate change and the transition to a clean energy-powered economy. With the passage of the Climate Leadership and Community Protection Act, New York has codified the most aggressive climate change program in the nation with goals to reach zero carbon emissions in the electricity sector by 2040; install 9 gigawatts of offshore wind by 2035; 6 gigawatts of solar by 2025; and 3 gigawatts of energy storage by 2030. Additionally, the law creates the Climate Action Council comprised of the leaders of various state agencies and authorities as well as legislative appointments to develop a plan outlining how the state will achieve an 85% reduction in GHG emissions from 1990 levels by 2050, and eventually net zero emissions in all sectors of the economy.
This is a paid internship for current, full-time students. This internship will begin June 1, 2022 and continue through the summer. Interns work up to 37.5 hours per week in between semesters, when not attending class.
- Conduct research and writing pertaining to energy efficiency, renewable energy, energy resiliency, and climate change, as well as issues concerning the State Environmental Quality Review Act, the Freedom of Information Law, the Open Meetings Law, the State Ethics Law, and any other matter that might come before Counsel’s Office
- Review documents, attend public meetings, and conduct research regarding nuclear waste and environmental issues concerning the Western New York Nuclear Service Center (West Valley)
- Assist attorneys in researching contracting provisions and preparing and reviewing various contracting documents
- From time to time, assist in preparation of responses to Freedom of Information Law requests and other information requests including subpoenas
- Perform other tasks as assigned
- Current full-time student, attending law school
- Proficiency with the Microsoft Office suite, Lexis Advance, and other legal research resources
- Demonstrated ability to research primary and secondary sources
- Skill in managing multiple activities, delivering on commitments, and operating with speed, accuracy, and strong judgment
- Strong work ethic
Please submit one file that includes both your cover letter and resume.Apply Now