Internship: Corporate Communications - Albany Office
New York is leading the nation in the fight on global climate change and the transition to a clean energy-powered economy. With the passage of the Climate Leadership and Community Protection Act, New York has codified the most aggressive climate change program in the nation with goals to reach zero carbon emissions in the electricity sector by 2040; install 9 gigawatts of offshore wind by 2035; 6 gigawatts of solar by 2025; and 3 gigawatts of energy storage by 2030. Additionally, the law creates the Climate Action Council comprised of the leaders of various state agencies and authorities as well as legislative appointments to develop a plan outlining how the state will achieve an 85% reduction in GHG emissions from 1990 levels by 2050, and eventually net zero emissions in all sectors of the economy.
NYSERDA is seeking an intern to join its dynamic Corporate Communications team and help build awareness of NYSERDA’s objectives and accomplishments as part of New York’s nation-leading climate and clean energy agenda. This internship will allow the candidate to integrate classroom knowledge and theory with practical application, provide the opportunity to explore and expand their interests, and offer career development by providing hands-on experience with guidance from the communications team.
The intern will work within the Corporate Communication Department to support media, stakeholder, and public outreach across portfolios. In this role, the intern will gain experience that may include but is not limited to reporter tracking, drafting internal and external communications materials, and attending meetings with communications, marketing, events and program teams. The intern will also proactively identify opportunities to raise NYSERDA’s profile through media monitoring and other creative opportunities for consideration.
This is a paid internship for current, full-time students. The pay rate is from $15 to $17 per hour based on current class year. This internship will begin immediately and continue through the academic year. Interns work up to 18.5 hours per week during the semester, and up to 37.5 hours per week in between semesters, when not attending class.
- Lead the team’s media list management project throughout the duration of the internship. This project includes updating existing media lists with accurate reporter contact information (phone number, email, social media handles), adding new reporters and removing those no longer covering relevant topics, compiling media lists and reports, and creating new media lists, if needed.
- Support and assist the Communications team’s efforts across all portfolios to build public awareness of NYSERDA’s programs and objectives both internally and externally including:
- Assist in drafting communications materials such as media advisories and briefing documents;
- Research program areas, trends and industry reports to gather information and key facts needed to inform written communications;
- Support Social Media Manager by drafting social media content, monitoring priority topics and reporters, and attending online events to capture quotes, highlights, and images;
- Monitor news outlets to identify controversial articles and opportunities for proactive media strategies, as well as to inform media lists;
- Review and proofread third-party articles, press releases and blog posts;
- Write summaries and report on speaking engagements and events;
- Assist the Corporate Communications Department staff in preparing materials and publicity for NYSERDA in-person and virtual events; and
- Perform other responsibilities, as assigned
- Current, full-time undergraduate or graduate student, pursuing a degree in Communications, Public Communications, or Media Relations.
- Excellent skills with the Microsoft Office suite of programs.
- Demonstrated ability to research primary and secondary sources.
- Skill in managing multiple activities, delivering on commitments, and operating with speed, accuracy, and strong judgment.
- Strong work ethic.
Please submit one file that includes both your cover letter and resume.Apply Now