Legal Assistant - Albany Office
New York is leading the nation in the fight on global climate change and the transition to a clean energy-powered economy. With the passage of the Climate Leadership and Community Protection Act (CLCPA) , New York has codified the most aggressive climate change program in the nation with goals to:
- Produce 70% of its electricity from renewable sources by 2030
- Reach zero carbon emissions in the electricity sector by 2040
- Install 9 gigawatts of offshore wind by 2035
- Install 6 gigawatts of solar by 2025
- Install 3 gigawatts of energy storage by 2030
Additionally, the law creates the Climate Action Council comprised of the leaders of various state agencies and authorities as well as legislative appointments to develop a plan outlining how the state will achieve an 85% reduction in greenhouse gas emissions from 1990 levels by 2050 and eventually net zero emissions in all sectors of the economy.
The New York State Energy Research and Development Authority seeks a knowledgeable, highly motivated, detail-oriented, and organized Legal Assistant for its Office of General Counsel. It is expected that the Legal Assistant will perform substantive and procedural work to support the legal staff of the Authority with respect to the Authority’s operations and functions.
- Filing and mailing of various legal notices, including bond issuances, UCC financing statements and amendments, annual State Agency Environmental Audit and Toxic Release Inventory
- Review and preparation of Board and Committee materials for disbursement including:
- Drafting and finalization of Board minutes for delivery to Governor’s office
- Monitoring and frequent updating of Board Governance and Financials Reports and Records webpages
- Tracking of Board Members’ various trainings and required filings such as financial disclosures and conflicts of interest
- Working with Board Members to schedule various meetings
- Assist Records Management Officer with monitoring storage of records at NYSERDA, maintaining the Records Management Database and maintaining file inventories across NYSERDA
- Track and maintain Real Property Tax Law § 487 form submissions
- Track and review documents for responses to Freedom of Information Law (FOIL) requests, subpoenas and other document requests
- Manage Counsel’s Office files and databases such as Counsel’s Office Opinions and reference documents, Contract Term Library and Bond Financing Outstanding Issues
- Performing other responsibilities as assigned
- An Associate degree and five years relevant experience. Seven years of relevant experience may be substituted in lieu of a degree
- A solid background in legal work
- A background in library management is not mandatory but preferred
- Familiarity with MS Office and SharePoint is a plus
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Able to take direction and work independently with little or no supervision
Candidates will be considered based on qualifications and experience. An excellent benefits package is offered.
Please submit one file that includes both your cover letter and resume.