Assistant Project Manager, Events Management - Albany, NY
New York is leading the nation in the fight on global climate change and the transition to a clean energy-powered economy. With the passage of the Climate Leadership and Community Protection Act (Climate Act) , New York has codified the most aggressive climate change program in the nation with goals to reach zero carbon emissions in the electricity sector by 2040; install 9 gigawatts of offshore wind by 2035, 10 gigawatts of solar by 2030, and 6 gigawatts of energy storage by 2030. With the recent approval of the Climate Action Council’s final Scoping Plan, we have a strong framework to achieve an 85% reduction in GHG emissions from 1990 levels by 2050, and eventually net zero emissions economy-wide.
- Attract the private sector capital investment needed to expand New York’s clean energy economy
- Overcome barriers to using clean energy at a large-scale in New York
- Enable New York’s communities and residents to benefit equitably from energy efficiency and renewable energy
The Events Management department is seeking a qualified and highly motivated professional enthusiastic about event planning and management to join our team as an Assistant Project Manager, specializing in events management.The ideal candidate should enjoy interacting with diverse types of people through every aspect of event planning and execution, have a high attention to detail, and be driven to achieve quality results. Preferably, this candidate has solid experience and expertise with managing all types of events (in-person, virtual, and hybrid) and a working knowledge of event management platforms. An understanding of New York State government and the energy efficiency and clean energy sectors is a plus. This position requires frequent travel and reports to the Senior Project Manager.
The Events Assistant Project Manager is responsible for managing event-related activities for NYSERDA program portfolios, working collaboratively with program staff and professional services teams to coordinate all aspects and deliverables from concept and design, through development, production, and execution of in-person, hybrid, and virtual events. The Assistant Project Manager provides additional support for event-related activities managed by the Director of Events and Senior Events Project Managers in varying levels of support and participation, including but not limited to sponsoring, exhibiting, attending, speaking, and hosting. This position requires frequent travel.
- Ensure excellent customer service, planning, and high-quality execution of events within the assigned program portfolios and initiatives; delivering events on time and within budget, that meet or exceed objectives and expectations
- Identify event opportunities that meet programmatic and organizational objectives and provide value to NYSERDA
- Negotiate appropriate levels of support and participation; collaborate with teams across the Authority and collaborate closely with Marketing, Communications, and Social Media staff
- Secure appropriate program funding for events; draft, review and manage purchase orders, agreements, and payments through the NEIS finance process
- Assist with speaker coordination; identify, coordinate, and secure event materials; travel to and from event location to support the event and manage on site logistics; and perform comprehensive post event follow up to completion
- Serve as department liaison for the Events Management unit with teams throughout the Authority in support of multiple assigned program portfolios
- Build and maintain relationships with NYSERDA staff, contractors, and partners; event organizers; venue staff; external stakeholders; and other New York State agency staff
- Suggest and implement recommendations for improvements in processes, planning, and execution to consistently deliver quality results
- Assist with the inventory of event display materials
- Become proficient in event management software used to support and manage all NYSERDA event-related activity
- Continual effort toward learning about NYSERDA’s strategies and program offerings and the ability to explain them to various and diversified audiences
- Foster and contribute to a culture of teamwork and excellence grounded in development, learning, problem solving, and collaboration
- Perform other responsibilities as needed
- An Associate degree and 2 years of relevant event-related experience
- 5 years of relevant event-related experience may be substituted in lieu of degree
- In addition to the minimum requirements, a hotel/hospitality degree or event planning certification and experience with audio/video equipment and technologies
- Ability to frequently travel across New York State, including overnight stays, to support events and event-related activities, at times with short notice; estimated travel 25% or greater
- Solid project management skills to handle multiple diverse projects simultaneously, set priorities and meet deadlines in a fast-paced and exciting environment
- Proven ability to anticipate and articulate needs in advance, propose solutions, and react positively to challenges, new assignments, and shifting priorities
- Dependability with a strong work ethic and ability to perform under pressure and within tight deadlines
- Strong time management and organizational skills
- Detail oriented with a high degree of accuracy
- Demonstrated professional integrity with ability to protect sensitive or confidential information
- Team player with a positive attitude and willingness to learn and seek opportunities for improvement
- Clear and concise written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to effectively interact with people of diverse professional levels and cultural backgrounds
- Proficiency with MS Office Suite programs (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Proficiency with virtual meeting technology platforms (Webex, MS Teams, Zoom)
Candidates will be considered based on qualifications and experience. Salary range is $64,718 - $84,204. An excellent benefits package is offered.
Please submit one file for the Assistant Project Manager, Events Management position, job# 790, that includes both your cover letter and resume.