Project Manager or Sr. Project Manager, Clean Energy Siting - Albany, NY or Buffalo, NY
New York is leading the nation in the fight on global climate change and the transition to a clean energy-powered economy. With the passage of the Climate Leadership and Community Protection Act (Climate Act) , New York has codified the most aggressive climate change program in the nation with goals to reach zero carbon emissions in the electricity sector by 2040; install 9 gigawatts of offshore wind by 2035, 10 gigawatts of solar by 2030, and 6 gigawatts of energy storage by 2030. With the recent approval of the Climate Action Council’s final Scoping Plan, we have a strong framework to achieve an 85% reduction in GHG emissions from 1990 levels by 2050, and eventually net zero emissions economy-wide.
- Attract the private sector capital investment needed to expand New York’s clean energy economy
- Overcome barriers to using clean energy at a large-scale in New York
- Enable New York’s communities and residents to benefit equitably from energy efficiency and renewable energy
NYSERDA seeks an experienced and motivated individual to join the Clean Energy Siting team. NYSERDA’s Clean Energy Siting Team supports New York’s ambitious climate and energy goals by working with local governments, communities, industry groups, and other stakeholders to address and overcome obstacles to clean energy project development. The team provides one-on-one technical assistance and offers several resources to help local governments manage responsible clean energy development in their communities. These resources include step-by-step instructions and tools to guide the implementation of clean energy, including permitting processes, comprehensive planning, property taxes, siting, and zoning. This position will be responsible for developing strategies that overcome clean energy market barriers and accelerate the scale and penetration of clean energy in New York State, including developing, organizing, and managing meetings and workshops with local governments. This position requires the ability to work independently as well as to collaborate with multiple stakeholders of varying backgrounds. Clear communication with government officials, the public, clean energy industry experts, and advocacy groups is essential. The successful candidate will be a key part of developing guidance materials and standardized tools to ease the implementation of solar, land-based wind, energy storage, electric vehicle charging, and other emerging clean energy technologies in New York State. The successful candidate will work closely with staff from multiple NYSERDA programs and will interact with professionals and others from the broader networks of clean energy, local government, and community development.
This individual will learn details of the clean energy project development process directly from market participants and will gain first-hand insight into the siting of clean energy projects and the interaction with local governments in New York State. This is an excellent opportunity to gain further education on numerous types of clean energy development. The successful candidate will be an exceptionally fast, self-directed learner, who is comfortable distilling and presenting complex information to diverse audiences.
- Develop, implement, and manage interventions and strategies that overcome clean energy market barriers and accelerate the scale and penetration of clean energy projects in New York
- Provide trainings and presentations, conduct direct outreach, and provide one-on-one technical assistance to local governments across New York State
- Identify market barriers and opportunities through analysis, research, and industry engagement
- Identify and conduct deep-dive analyses on best practices for clean energy siting and draft guidance documents for local decision-makers and industry members
- Research and develop reports, fact sheets, case studies, technical briefs, and web-based materials in support of knowledge transfer and outreach efforts
- Develop and maintain relationships with local government officials, trade associations, and regional and national organizations (federal agencies, national laboratories, industry, academia, non-profits, and others)
- Organize and facilitate workshops and meetings with diverse stakeholders from the public and private sectors
- Work effectively with multiple NYSERDA teams, local governments, and other New York State and federal agencies to define opportunities and deploy solutions in order to tackle clean energy market barriers
- Leverage resources and strategic partners including contractors to increase our ability to work closely with communities across the state
- Oversee the work of consultants and technical contractors, including writing and managing competitive solicitations to secure needed services/expertise, writing, and negotiating contracts and statements of work, and managing associated budgeting and invoicing
- Develop fresh, innovative ideas and tools for local governments to help guide clean energy siting to benefit disadvantaged communities
- Perform regular data entry to track activities/progress, and assist with data management, reporting, and analysis, including making and implementing recommendations to strengthen the team’s tracking capabilities
- Perform other related tasks as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree, particularly with a policy or energy background
- 3 years of experience in the clean energy industry, environmental/energy program implementation, or a related field (e.g., engineering, local or regional planning) for Project Manager position (5 years required for Senior Project Manager position)
- Proven experience with or knowledge of one or more of the following technologies: solar, energy storage, and wind
- Exemplary project management skills with the ability to set priorities, develop and execute on a workplan, balance research, analysis, and stakeholder engagement with pragmatism, and an action-bias to deliver solutions in the market
- Strong stakeholder outreach and engagement skills, including experience directly engaging with government officials
- Top-notch presentation and interpersonal skills that resonate with audiences of different backgrounds and demonstrated ability to communicate persuasively, concisely, and unambiguously in speech and writing
- Ability and appetite to learn and assimilate new information and think holistically through complex problems with technical and non-technical components
- Track record building effective partnerships and facilitating consensus-building among multiple stakeholders
- Must be a self-starter with a predisposition to proactive research and independently learn new, often complex, technical subject matter
- Exceptional organizational, time-management, and planning skills to handle multiple projects simultaneously, set priorities, and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment
- Genuine passion for issues related to energy, environment, climate and energy equity, and economic development
- Microsoft Office capabilities, including advanced functions in Outlook, Word, PowerPoint, and Excel
- Able and willing to travel across New York State up to 40% of the time
- Master’s degree or higher, particularly with a policy or energy background
- 6-10 years of experience
- Proven experience with or in-depth knowledge of planning, zoning, and permitting processes at the state (e.g., Office of Renewable Energy Siting) and local level, particularly with respect to solar, energy storage, and wind
- Proven experience or in-depth knowledge of renewable energy project financing, payment-in-lieu-of-taxes (PILOT) negotiations, and a strong understanding of the operations of Industrial Development Agencies
- Experience with Salesforce/customer relationship management programs is highly valued
Candidates will be considered based on qualifications and experience. Salary range for the Sr. Project Manager is $105,500-$133,319 and for the Project Manager position is $71,685-$120,156. An excellent benefits package is offered.
Please submit one file for the Project Manager or Sr. Project Manager, Clean Energy Siting job# 788, that includes both your cover letter and resume.